Has anyone really made money on MLM?

Jump to Last Post 51-74 of 74 discussions (117 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

What kind a "business" is this if you have to get up and lie about overpriced "miracle product"? You feel like a salesperson on a street selling last year's snow. Who can possibly do that?

2. bearnecessity profile image58
    bearnecessityposted 13 years ago

You can absolutely make money with MLM's. Do many people fail at it? Yes but many people fail at traditional business opportunities and I see no one bashing those opportunities. You have to go into it with the right attitude, work ethic, and a realistic understanding of the earnings. It is possible to make money with MLM's you just need to work it like another job.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my problem with it, it is not like another job or business or whatever. You start with selling  an overpriced product and telling everybody they should do the same! sad sad sad

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are MLM's out there which are not overpriced tongue

2. bearnecessity profile image58
        bearnecessityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

how does $25 set up fee and $10 per month sounds for reasonable? I am involved with one that costs that much. Not only can you make money but I get tons of free coupons and stuff from it. not too bad if you ask me

3. profile image52
        nickj147posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have said it before homegirl and I will say it again. You just chose the wrong MLM. There are shops that are crap, doctors that are crap, dentists that are crap plumbers that are crap etc etc etc. But not all are the same!!!!!!! If you found an electricin that was crap would you live without electricity for the rest of your life by not finding another one.?

3. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I did well with online MLM's for a while, but they required constant upkeep, were notably unstable and ended up being more frustration than they were worth.

4. Jen_B80 profile image60
    Jen_B80posted 13 years ago

When I was a kid my step-mother had a friend who was very successful with Mary Kay cosmetics. She drove the pink Cadillac and everything. She said in order to succeed in a MLM you need to do three things.

1. Recruit as many people as possible. Make sure to get people who you know are serious about building up a portfolio of clients.

2. Continue to sell things on your own. Never stop selling because you need to know what type of problems to help your sales people overcome.

3. Keep doing steps 1 and 2 until you have a pink Cadillac.

Bonus: She also said to network with as many group leaders as possible and attend Mary Kay networking events.

5. mikesssb profile image61
    mikesssbposted 13 years ago

As much as I have tried I haven't had any luck with any "work from home" program. I've been through the scams and am now leery of any company that wants me to pay to get started with them, although I do understand that to start a business you have to have investment capital. I'm giving this a try and have found a few other things but it is taking so much time and I am truly beginning to wonder if there is a way for me to be able to walk away from my 11 hour a day job and be able to make an income at home so that I can have more time to spend with my family.

6. attractmarketing profile image60
    attractmarketingposted 13 years ago

Network Marketing should be treated just like any other business.  Often times people enter with false expectation and the allure of "so called easy riches".  It can take years the traditional way to make money in mlm.  Opportunity parties, and the traditional face to face and 3 foot rule, asking family and friends.  Look into other forms of marketing now available.  Technology has made it easier to locate and prequalify your own leads. Make sure your product is something people can really use and need.  The residual income is in the follow up year and years down the road.  Some products and services may be used short term and dropped once the problem is solved.  Network Marketing is a viable business and for all those who are not making money, you can find within the same company those who are.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4931409.jpg

7. profile image0
    danmitposted 13 years ago

My friend's father-in-law in has made a profit from it but my friend admits that the amount of time and energy he puts into it is ridiculous for the pay he gets. The guy is happy though because he feels like he's running his own business.

8. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

you can easily tell those who have never made anything-listen to the excuses about the industry, about your sponsor, about friends and family. None of that matters if you do what it takes. period. the reason why you all fail is you quit. your "why" is not big enough. your fear of failure and worse, fear of success also get in your head/way.

not all comp plans are created equal, but most have nothing to do with how soon you get in a company. most pay plans you can out perform your upline and there is a level playing field.

i used to joke that MLM stands for many losing money. and in many cases it is. the industry is 110 billion in sales annually, and growing. i know ONE good company that is debt free-flush with cash, award winning in manufacturing, in business 39 years, and a comp plan that does NOT put you in competition with your downline, and pays out 55% of their intake. i have had over 8 figure success in home business and feel lucky to have found this venture. Dr. Mike

9. profile image51
    affiliate32posted 12 years ago

Go to www.pmlonline.ws It's FREE!!!

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is NOT free!

10. profile image56
    Sangeeth@11posted 12 years ago

I haven't try this yet but I have tried lean manufacturing I would like to try MLM as well.

11. alexpino profile image40
    alexpinoposted 12 years ago

This is a great question. Succeeding in MLM, network marketing or direct marketing (whatever you want to call it) requires a different mindset than the one you've had if you've been working jobs your whole life.

Because of this you've got to do some work on yourself to change perspectives. Here's a good way to answer your question: 97% of people fail to make money in MLM. If this business is attractive to you and you want it, study what the other 3% are doing and go from there.

1. alexpino profile image40
      alexpinoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That being said, the MLM/network marketing/direct selling industry has created more millionaires than any other.

12. Britt27 profile image61
    Britt27posted 12 years ago

I personally love the MLM that I am a part of. I think that in order to achieve any success you truly have to believe in yourself and your products. I have seen great personal results with my products and many other people have too which is what attracted me to the MLM. If you believe in your products they are easier to sell. You also need a great upline. My upline encourages me everyday, and they never make me feel like a burden when I have a lot of questions. Many people get into MLM because they think that they will get rich quick. This is the wrong attitude to have. You have to work at MLM just like you have to work at your job. Given that, if you hate the product you will never be able to sell much because people will notice that it is not important to you, so why should they take it seriously. If you truly believe in your product, have a personal story to tell, and are passionate, you will succeed as long as you work at it.

13. ChrisDarrenJames profile image61
    ChrisDarrenJamesposted 12 years ago

"Cogito ergo sum" = "I think therefore I am" by René Descartes

Which basically means that as soon as you say you cannot do something your mind will shut down.  It has to be right and so will prove itself right.

If you say you can do something then your subconscious mind will go out and prove itself right.  It will get creative and come up with the answers for how to be successful.

The problem with MLM/network marketing/direct sales is that it is cheap to get in and therefore people do not take it seriously enough and do not get committed to their success.

Also we as a society are programmed to go to school, get a degree and get a job.

You have to re-program your mind to think like a business owner.

The amount of success you get is in accordance to many factors/variants.

How much money do you have to invest into building your business?

How much time do you have to build your business?

How much knowledge do you have about marketing and sales?

Yes, that's right I said....if you are in any kind of business you are in sales.

Infact in anything in life you are selling yourself....ever asked someone out on a date?

Eve ask someone to marry you?

Ever asked someone for a job?

You will were selling yourself then.

All selling is is solving peoples problems.  Asking questions and listening for the answers...listening for the problems that you can provide a solution for.

The problem with network marketing companies is they don;t always teach marketing skills and tell you to go and push products down people's throats.

Fortunately with the arrival of the internet if you can learn marketing skills then you can position yourself in front of people who are actively looking...such as when they search on Google search engine.

The thing then is you have to increase your knowledge so you can go out and optimize your articles and videos and ppc ads so that they end up in front of the searchers at the time they wish to purchase.

It is also a good idea to outsource as much as possible if you have the money on places like Fiverr.com and Odesk.com.

You can also build yourself a marketing funnel that brands you on the frontend with your own information products and then monetize of more of the leads you generate.  Most of them will not want to join your business, but I am suyre you can find something to give them of low cost on the frontend.  Perhaps teach marketing skills on the frontend.

This is what the successful people do.

For more then please feel free to connect with me on facebook.com/chrisdarrenjames

Chris

1. hotpmjobs profile image59
      hotpmjobsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Although, there are some scams, but the majority are legit, but most never focus enough time or training on newcomers and are after the quick buck instead of investing and growing real value.

14. mailmohit975 profile image60
    mailmohit975posted 12 years ago

Hey...i do think that there are lots of other ways to make money rather than this highly risky and unsecured way.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sue there are lots of ways.
      BUT, how risky are they in comparison?
      How much effort will they take?
      How much will you initially invest?
      How much ongoing investment (not just money BTW)?
      What are the real returns.

Answer these, and I doubt there are many that come close to the long term benefits of MLM. big_smile

15. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36

while i have had MANY more failures than successes, more than half of my 31 years in home business industry cost me much more than i made, i have had three 7 figure plus results-one of them was closer to 8 figure results in 6 years.

two of the 3 were networking, and direct sales, not truly MLM, close enough though.

i am writing an ebook called "The Street Smart Millionaire" in hopes to inspire those like me who had much more desire than funds. most of my life even as a child was lower middle class paycheck to paycheck. the break through was priceless for my family and worth it.

16. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36

i have had 2 different companies produce 7-figure results-one i owned. i had a 3rd business that was a network business produce 8 figures in 6 years, again, i started that company. in each of the companies i had, the reps often made 6 to multiple 6 figures annually. it took me 17 years before i had my first "breakthrough" however...Dr. Mike

17. hotpmjobs profile image59
    hotpmjobsposted 12 years ago

Since most people do not understand how sales work and that sales is very hard when you are first learning they believe that it must be a scam. 

Just because a company is too dumb to understand that being selective about who they bring in to represent their company and that if they actually trained them they could make far more money does not mean they are a scam.  It just means they are most likely stupid, short sighted, and just following current management best practices that teach they just get anyone and drive them into the ground and use them up and then go get someone else and repeat.   

Unfortunately, even "legit" corporations/business are becoming more like bad MLMs, just looking for short term gains and not thinking long term. They are looking for the cheapest source and do not really care how they get things done and just burn them out or jump ship once they find someone that will work for less or can cut benefits.   It seems morals and business ethics are becoming harder and harder to find. 

Some rules I try and remember:

1. Not everyone is your customer.
    2. Not everyone can or should represent your company.
    3. A fool with a tool is still a fool.
    4. Direct sales is not easy to learn.
    5. Never be too busy to train
    6. Not everyone will do things like I do
    7. It is OK to let someone go if they are truly not ready for     
       the Job, but see rule 6 first.
    8. My goal is to run a business not just buy another Job. I need
       to train others and delegate.
    9. Stay in control or aware of where the money is coming from and
       going to.
    10.Have integrity, give respect, provide 110%, and most of all
       Have Fun!!   

In the end it takes hard work, integrity, treating employees, vendors, customers, and everyone with respect and then planing for the long term to truly succeed at anything.  One day we might all actually get back to the basics.

I wish everyone luck in all aspects of your lives. 

PS. Sorry for the rant.

18. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36

there simply is NO risk in a home business what so ever. the tax deductions alone can put a person in a positive cash flow. all of you are worthy of financial wealth, but in the end, will get only what you deserve. too many quit 5 minutes before "the miracle" happens. one or two "no's" from a broke loser and you are out. typically none of our friends and family are looking for a business from each other.

what ever business someone is in, the goal is profit, so the business can survive. after owning more than one brick-and-mortor national franchise, which never came close to producing the results my network ventures have done. not in the same ball park. that franchise owned me too.

those who have actually tasted the fruit of true business ownership know the only true risk in life, is not taking one.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love your last line, "the only true risk in life, is not taking one."
      That is so true!!!

19. kschang profile image86
    kschangposted 11 years ago

There are some...  but a better question to ask is... how did they get there? Did they get there by selling a lot of stuff? Inspiring others to sell a lot of stuff? Or merely by recruiting a lot of warm bodies?

20. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 11 years ago

Yes, after many horrible, horrible pitches; I did find one that fits my budget, let's me write my own thing, and seriously holds my hand every step of the way.  If I am having problems or need help; the main group leader will address it for me. 

The main thing is that it is affordable, and I all I do is blog.  That's it.  It is the only partnership that actually taught me how to get traffic, how to blog with the right keywords, so in essence; I can start up my own website and apply all I learned there for myself.   

Any web-based business takes at least 6 months to earn anything; look at your hub account or adsense.  You just have to diligent on any kind of online marketing. 

If you think about it, even writing on this popular platform. you still have to do some legit marketing or social media to get your content shared. 

I say, find a site, program, or whatever online that is affordable and teaches you something new every day; take what you need and leave the rest.

21. adamsbell profile image56
    adamsbellposted 10 years ago

Hi
    Yeah, I got money via MLM , MLM is a process in which they pay you on a multi level , the market is based on Multi level ,most of home business today are based on network marketing or Multi Level marketing , I earned money from the site called 4LIFE , the site is based on Health care products. I increased my referrals i.e. 6. There is no hard work over there. You will reach your target if you have marketing mentality and technique. You will surely succeed.

22. JayMLB profile image59
    JayMLBposted 10 years ago

MLM requires alot of work, so if you are not ready for it I would suggest not to join. I was in afew MLM's before made money but the hard work is what puts me off. In MLM you have two ways of earning, by selling the products and building your network. the big dough comes from building so you have to ensure that everybody plays their part. Combining both network marketing and online marketing is a powerful combo if you know how. There is a system as well that can bring you to success in MLM.

23. kschang profile image86
    kschangposted 10 years ago

Yes, there are people who made money in MLM.

However, they are generally the people who managed to quickly learn how to sell, and was able to dedicate a YEAR OR MORE, WITHOUT PAY (barely breaking even, if at that) going FULL TIME to build up his or her "network" AND have real products that people want to use/consume.

Here's a true quote from one of those who really did make it big:

"This process (building up your MLM business by selling and recruiting downline sales "empire") requires 2-5 years of dedicated and successful efforts. It requires working capital for inventory, travel, entertainment, individual marketing, lead generation, and company events. A person might earn a net profit during their first year and they might not.... The failure rate is certainly the highest for those people looking to build a fortune … as it should be."
    -- Richard Bliss Brooke

And of course, this assumes that 1) the company's not a scam 2) the company didn't fail in 2-5 years 3) your upline is not a crook  4) people actually want the products, 5) you know how to spot people who can sell and recruit them... etc. etc.

Food for thought, isn't it?

http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com/2013/05 … .html#more

1. marknhopgood profile image60
      marknhopgoodposted 8 years ago

When I joined MonaVie in 2009, I quickly rose to Silver level. I consistently took a monthly paycheck from MonaVie as I had set up an automatic system via the internet.

I've since been offering this system to others. You need to put a lot of effort in initially. By the time I was in year 3 I was earning money automatically.

Welcome to share the info I have, but as there is so much, I cannot put it all in this post.

regards
      Mark N Hopgood

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)