jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Credit Checks on the Job Hunt: Should They Stay or Should They Go?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

"Long before the Great Recession began in 2007, and really went full-force in late 2008, job seekers were already wary of one particular hiring practice: the credit check.

Some employers run credit checks before deciding which candidate to choose. They cant run a check without your permission, so you must first sign a form that allows them to check your credit history. You can choose not to sign it, but they can then choose not to consider you for the job."

this is hurting the very people that need to work!
    unless you sign this form as part of the application,you are not going to be considered for the job.

http://www.theworkbuzz.com/job-search/c … ;gt1=23000

2. J.R. Smith profile image59
    J.R. Smithposted 6 years ago

If you aren't applying for a job in which your duties are budget related, they have no place in interview and that information should be protected and private.

3. starme77 profile image85
    starme77posted 6 years ago

I think it's ridiculous and instusive, unless your a banker or something like that - working in finances or something I can see it but for a regular ole job, nope ,

4. J.R. Smith profile image59
    J.R. Smithposted 6 years ago

privacy is compromised,that's for sure.

5. 0
    Amie Warrenposted 6 years ago

That's just so stupid. It's just one more way for them to find out stuff about you that is none of their business. For example, if you owe doctors a lot of money, they know you're not healthy.

I actually refused to allow it once. They called and said "You forgot to sign the credit check form."  I told them, no, I did not forget. I was not going to be handling money, accounts or anything to do with money, so I didn't think it was necessary. They said "Oh, we run one for everyone."  I said "Not for me, not unless you're going to be bonding me."

Believe it or not, I got the job.

1. Precious Pearl profile image82
      Precious Pearlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good for you!  I agree.  What does my credit have to do with how well I can do the job?  Nothing.  It could have been trashed by a divorce or illness or something outside of my control.

6. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

I totally agree if you are not going to be handling cash or dealing with any accounting there is absolutely no reason for them to check your credit. Your credit good or bad does not tell them how well you will do your job. Say no to credit checks.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If denied work because of bad credit, how can one make good credit? NO JOB! If my employer were planning on paying me in advance (credit) then, I might be able to understand their interest. But I have never, ever, been paid in advance.