jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Customer Service From Hell

1. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

I almost hesitate to post this for fear of giving someone ideas, but did anybody else see this article in the NYT about an ecommerce guy who uses bad publicity to get ranked?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/busin … wanted=all

I just have to say, as a woman, it really freaks me out that this guy has apparently gotten away with making sexual and physical threats against his customers for years. He's obviously smart enough to push the limits just far enough to freak people out but not enough to actually get arrested, but still, when somebody's made a habit of this sort of behavior, there ought to be some recourse!

(Let's not give this guy any more help by mentioning his business's name, okay?)

1. cockrelle profile image62
      cockrelleposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Believe it or not many business owners resort to these tactic. They know exactly how far they are able to push it without getting into trouble. Let’s just hope they come up against someone who just don’t care, and will be willing to show them the error of their ways.

1. kerryg profile image88
        kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Preferably via an extended visit to the slammer. tongue

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

That story is crazy...

3. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

This proves once again that no matter how good or bad your content is, it's how many backlinks your site gets that count.

As this shows, you can even have a very bad site, but if it's getting many backlinks, even because of BAD stuff, google pushes your site higher.

They really need to work on that and get it fixed so that backlinks are not the most important way to rank, which it is. hmm

4. PaulaHenry1 profile image70
    PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago

WOW- that is just a sad approach to sales. If I were her, I would've....well, forget that, but I wouldn't have sat so calmly. Tactics such as those are just purely wrong!

5. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 5 years ago

Wow!  How about snatching up all his keywords and writing a hub to compete with him in the SERPS and have the hub link to this article?!

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That would just give him even more links from others who don't know better. smile

2. kerryg profile image88
      kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I don't think linking to the article is a great idea, but since he buys all his stuff off ebay anyway, I don't see why someone with an interest in eyewear couldn't make a dent in his traffic with some well made hubs highlighting the same stuff. I looked up his main site and it's only a PR 3, so it's not unbeatable by any means, plus he's got very little written content. A little good copywriting might go a long way.

ETA: Amazon's got 102 results for Lafont eyeglasses (the brand mentioned in the NYT piece) too.

6. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 5 years ago

That was really interesting but also slightly disturbing!

Shows that links are important!