jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

No more Unemployment!

1. perfectperception profile image61
    perfectperceptionposted 5 years ago

The news stated that unemployment will end for millions at the end of December.  They will be cut off!  I predict that the government will use people being cut off of unemployment benefits and say that the economy is strengthening and unemployment itself has decreased between January and March 2011.  What do you think?

1. 61
      corrine27posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are probably right that the government may claim that the unemployment rate has decreased if they do not extend benefits.  The reason is because the calculation of the unemployment rate does not take into consideration people that have "given up" or dropped out of the labor market entirely.  It also does not take into consideration people that are "underemployed", people that are either overqualified or only working part time.

They may be able to claim the unemployment rate has went down...however the consumer spending levels will  drop considerably and so will the consumer confidence level after they see the homeless and food pantry lines become more desperate.
      Merry Christmas all

2. 73
      Paul Cheslerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do not believe that we can allow this to happen.  It would trigger a new wave of foreclosures and evictions, force another bailout of the financial industry, and, as someone else had mentioned, hurt the retail industry.  There is growing disparity between the white collar jobs and blue collar jobs, despite how wrong that is.  One who goes on welfare or applies for food stamps typically cannot get a white collar until this assistance falls off of their credit report, which takes seven years.  If people can lose their unemployment benefits, they will be forced to go on these government assistance programs, and potentially ruin nearly a decade of their lives.  Why can't the government take the money that they would be using to artificially prop up corporations and use it, instead, to extend the benefits of those who would be cut off.  If anything, the money would finally find the correct pockets, as opposed to the last bailout.

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

That's terrible cutting off unemployed people yikes
    Why don't they just cut off their feet instead? hmm
    Then they wouldn't have poor soles would they? hmm

3. Urbane Chaos profile image92
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

They talked about that before but extended it.. I think, with unemployment being as it is, they'll extend it again.

1. perfectperception profile image61
      perfectperceptionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They've already started cutting people off in Missouri.  But I hope you're right and that'll change.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image92
        Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do too.. I know a lot of people that need that money to survive.  I'm starting to think now that this may be it...

4. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

I can understand and extension for those who deserve it but I think they should make sure the jobless are actually looking for jobs. Who will look when theres free money...I am not saying everyone is like this but the few people I know who are on unemployment make up jobs they applied for and never did.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image92
      Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You have a good point there.. Still, I don't think there's all that many people who abuse the system in the grand scheme of things.  Of the people that I know, and there's a lot here, most are more frustrated that they can't find a job than anything. 

Of the two states closest to me, Oklahoma has an unemployment rate of 6.5, and Arkansas7.4.  I simply can't believe that that many people are just raking in the free money.  Sure, some are, but that's going to happen no matter what.

5. 61
    foreignpressposted 5 years ago

People cannot stay on unemployment compensation forever. It has been extended to 99 weeks. That's almost two years! Extending benefits indefinitely is not the answer. The private sector must be stimulated so there can be job creation. Apparently Congress doesn't understand this.
      Question: What happens to people who have "given up" or dropped out of the labor market entirely? Obviously they don't vaporize. Are they self-employed? If so, why aren't more people doing the same thing?

1. mike1404 profile image79
      mike1404posted 5 years ago in reply to this

When you throw all those people off of unemployment, where will they go? Who will feed them? What happens to their children? Do they starve in the streets? And without unemployment, won't they simply avail themselves to another government program - public assistance? So what's the true difference? The country is in deep economic turmoil due in most part  to the private sector. It took time for idiots to put us in this mess. It will take time for wiser heads to get us out. Think about it. Don't beat up on the unemployed. They didn't get that way on their own. Look to those companies that ship American Jobs abroad, while taking welfare from the American Public in the form of tax breaks. If you need someone to blame, there can be no candidates than them. Don't allow the true bandits to ride off in the sunset without taking their heavy and well deserved share of the blame.