jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Pros and Cons on using sub domains?

1. jasperneo profile image60
    jasperneoposted 5 years ago

I do understand that some marketers out there do use subdomains to promote products.

What is a purpose of subdomains?
    What are the pros and cons using them?

I hope someone can help me with this. Gladly appreciated.

1. harrist profile image61
      harristposted 5 years ago in reply to this

maybe its because they don't have money to buy dot Info (1.99 $) wink lol

just like Big G and Yahoo that never buy new domain(cheapskate) lol wink

just kidding wink

2. webguyonline profile image60
      webguyonlineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i think using sub domains is cheaper than buying a new domain name, and a lot people notice that there's a lot of websites online which uses sub domain when promoting affiliate products

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I think Network Solutions can answer your question better than I can:

http://www.networksolutions.com/educati … ubdomains/

jasperneoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info!

3. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Go and Ask a Domain Marketing Site!

- If you don't understand this then you don't understand how to use a site for marketing!

- Unless of course you wish to employ the knowledge for a fee smile

- If you are Genuine... YOU Put The Time In.. Instead of expecting others to do that for you!

- Hit the books mate!  And Read some of the wonderful articles on the site!  - Instead of Taking The Lazy Option! smile

jasperneoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply! Point taken=)

4. Daniel5 profile image81
    Daniel5posted 5 years ago

Subdomains aren't that professional. Also take longer to get on google. I just published a hub on getting a free domain. Check it out and tell me what you thinkhttp://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Get-a-Free-Domain-and-Help-on-DNS-settings

1. Jezhug profile image61
      Jezhugposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Daniel5. Great Hub wink

5. 60
    computertexanposted 5 years ago

Subdomains can help rank pages on google if it is not spam.

6. Jezhug profile image61
    Jezhugposted 5 years ago

The beauty of subdomains from the point of an Internet Marketer is that search engines treat them as separate sites. This has its pros and cons, but long-term you can gain pagerank from your subdomains also. If you get a great generic keyword domain, you may even find that people will be willing to pay for exclusive rights to subdomains.

7. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

I use subdomains with my craft sites. One subdomain has one of it's pages listed as number 1 and the main site comes up well in the search engine.

I have subdomains simply to save money, because the site provider offers as many as I'd like for the same price.

Using these may be a big mistake on my part. I hope to learn something from other posts to this question, but I don't think having them has hurt me.

8. jigg2009 profile image62
    jigg2009posted 5 years ago

For Google every subdomain (when created) counts as a new domain. It depends what you want to do with it. What I do sometimes is to create a subdomain with exact keyword match and after time a do a background site from it linking to my money site or I do 301.

9. 0
    BenjaminBposted 5 years ago

From everything I have read on this subject thus far what I could make of it pertaining to your question would be this.

People using questionable marketing methods might want to use sub domains so they wouldn't be out any money if that sub domain became banned by Google. That being said they could also be used to practice marketing techniques for free.