jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What unusual jobs have you had in your life?

1. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

As a young man in Duluth Minnesota, I ran a Bum boat in the harbor.  This was a converted fishing trawler, approximately 55 feet long, with a beam of about 14 feet.  It was a store on water.  When the ore boats would come into port, we would come up along side and tie up to the ore boats.  We were equiped with a long ladder with hooked ends for the men to come down and shop. 

We had most anything a person could want or need to buy onboard.
    Clothing, televisions and radios, beer, snacks, jewelry and watches, shoes, personal grooming products, magazines and papers,etc..  Check cashing services also.

Most of the men that sailed the great lakes didn't have much time in port, and it was not easy to go ashore for shopping, as the ship usually would be loaded and ready to depart in about 4 hours.

We ran two 12 hour shifts, and usually tied up to about 7 boats a shift. Each boat back then had about 35 crew members. In essence, we had captive consumers. met a lot of people from all over the country.

Unfortunately, the Bum boats no longer operate in the harbor.
    Most of the newer ore boats have been automated and only need a crew of about 17 men, and have automatic unloading conveyors built into the ships.  Less time in ports and less customers.

1. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That sounds like fun, jerryl!  My most unusual job was as a telephone saleswoman for a cemetery/funeral home.  Yep, we PHONED people in the evening and pitched gravesites, cremation services and a whole host of other amenities.
      I can't believe I did this!

1. 0
        jerrylposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll bet you really dug your work.

2. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

Lorlie6,  You just reminded me of something I do occasionally.

When driving past a cemetary, I will ask my passengers if they knew that anyone living within 1 mile of that cemetary cannot be buried there? They always ask why, and I tell them "Because they're not dead yet".  LOL  Gets them every time

3. 0
    jerrylposted 5 years ago

lorlie6,  you must have some hilarious things that happened on that job.  Some of the conversations with potential customers, had to have some real humor.

4. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

Well, I do know that I never once made a sale!  But, yeah, I dug it all right...smile