jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Using Debit Cards as credit?

1. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 5 years ago

Whats the difference if you use a debit card as credit rather than debit? I know you type in pin for debit, and sign for credit.

However, isn't that contradicting what a debit card is used for? Debit is money you have - Credit is money you pay back.

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I work in retail and see many people confused about what to press and how to use them.

Basically, a credit card gives you more options - you can use it for online or phone payments AND it doesn't usually charge fees. Also, they usually have higher levels of fraud protection. The only drawback is you're not spending your own money - you're spending the bank's money.

With a debit credit card, you have all the same options as a credit card but you're spending your own money instead of having to pay back the bank at the end of the month.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

They say 'debit or credit?' to ask which type of card you are using.  If it is a debit card it is a debit card.

4. pylos26 profile image76
    pylos26posted 5 years ago

Does not make any difference...sometimes if i'm pumping gas i'll press credit...and I don't have to punch all them numbers in when its cold outside.