jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)

Self Employed or Working for a Company? %'s on total "hubbers"?

1. philzgrill profile image80
    philzgrillposted 5 years ago

From a statistical reference point, out of all the "hubbers" that "hub", what percentage are self employed and what percentage are not.  My theory would say that many of those that participate in writing articles on this site would be more entrepreneurial.  What do you think?

2. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 5 years ago

Same idea

3. tritrain profile image79
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

I'm sure most Hubbers have a full or mostly fulltime job somewhere or their spouse provides the majority of household income.

4. Kobus Hughes profile image60
    Kobus Hughesposted 5 years ago

I would also tend to agree with you. Hubpages takes up a lot of time if you want to have a good author rating. I am an entrepreneur and there is no need for my spouse to work. My point is I also think that most hubbers are entrepreneurs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kobus, it doesn't take a lot of time to get a good author rating on HubPages.  I've averaged less than two new Hubs a month since I joined HubPages, and I don't promote my Hubs.

Anyway, why are you worried about author rating?

5. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

I am entirely self-employed, with online revenue accounting for approximately 65% of my total revenue. But I was full time employed for most of my first 18 months on the site. You did miss 'unemployed' though, either officially or unofficially. I spent 3 of my early months on this site with a status which could be described as 'unemployed'.

6. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

I work full time as an employee in a mortgage company. I support my family all by myself. I write when I can, I'd love to be able to work at home, but unable to do that. I have lots of writing ideas and no time at all. I think we all are different here.

7. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

And I would add that sitting around in your house all day isn't all that glamourous, I have to make a special effort to meet as many of friends as frequently as possible... as sitting in front of computer doesn't make me any new ones. I get cabin fever, a lack of exercise, and very square eyes.

As a result, within the next few months I will either do 2 days a week volunteering somewhere or 2 days part time bar work each week in order to not become reclusive or unemployable. Two sides to every coin, although I am still glad to be out of my last job.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know what you mean, Ryan!   I've now just racked up a year out of work.  Initially it was a deliberate choice - I thought I'd have a shot at making money online - but it only took a few months to realise it wasn't for me.  Too isolating! 

I've been trying to get a part-time job ever since, will get there one day!

2. Don Simkovich profile image59
      Don Simkovichposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ryan, true ... online work can be isolating. It's good to get out and I like interviewing people. Getting out to business network keeps me fresh.

8. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

I'm self-employed and registered as such. I don't have a paid job. I write. That's it. And I echo Ryan - sometimes being home alone isn't what you'd hope it to be.

And like Ryan I got a dog. Not sure if he got his for the same reason buy mine keeps me company - plus I get to take her out and get some fresh air without looking like a weirdo smile

Good idea about the volunteering btw Ryan - I've been musing on that one. Be nice to just ... talk to people some days ...

Edit - my spouse doesn't support the household. Currently I'm 'it'.

9. I am DB Cooper profile image68
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I am not currently self-employed, although I do make a fair share of my income from various online ventures. I'm not making enough money online to quit my job and give up the health care benefits, so I'm sticking it out and doing both. Luckily, I've got a fairly easy job that allows me to sit at a computer and browse the internet for most of the day.

10. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

I am self employed, and I also have clients for my SEO services.

11. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

I am the total support for a household of 3.  I work full-time during the day for an insurance company and supplement my income with HubPages.  It's been such a good supplemental income three family members (some ex-in-laws) are now joining HubPages to write as well.

12. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

My husband and I are both self-employed. I make my entire income working online. We both generally contribute 50% of the income, including mortgage, good health insurance, vacations, etc. It varies from month to month, but not by much.

13. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I work in the afternoon, part time. My earnings here pay some of my bills. I have some properties in the Phils, real estates and a store and the earnings when you convert to dollar is just right for my household. I also write for a university per research but thrice a year only.

14. Don Simkovich profile image59
    Don Simkovichposted 5 years ago

I am self-employed. My spouse works part-time.