jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Looking for some Job Advice ...

1. prairieprincess profile image97
    prairieprincessposted 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm putting out this question to the Hubpages community, because I know you are writers, and would understand my dilemma.

I just started a new "job" as a commissioned sales person for a small newspaper, but feel very conflicted as to whether or not I should continue.

It's for a paper located about 30 minutes from our home, and it involves a fair bit of driving on the highways, which are not that great now, here in Canada, in the very cold weather. My husband and I only have one car right now, and are trying to carry two mortgages, because our other home has not sold yet. We are very strapped, frankly. My husband is very worried that if this car blows (which is old, too, with bald tires), he will have no way to get to work.. His job is paying the bills right now.

I started this job with the intention of making money, but I feel so conflicted because there is the risk that the car could bust at any time, and put us in a worse position. On the other hand, the job is in the field of publishing, and I think I could do quite well, but it might take some time to build. The editor also said I can do a story if it comes up, and I did my first actual paid story this weekend. The people are super-nice, and I love working there.

Sorry, this is so long, but any advice for me?

Thank you so much in advance,

1. webguyonline profile image60
      webguyonlineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

you can look for a job that you're familiar with, the one which you're comfortable working with.

2. Vcize profile image61
    Vcizeposted 5 years ago

How close are you to selling the other house?  Would this job be available when that happens and you're not longer a blown headgasket away from being in real trouble?

3. prairieprincess profile image97

That's the problem. We have been trying to sell this place for a year now, and nothing ... it's been really hard financially, and we can't say when it will go through.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

cars can definitely be an issue.. do you know a reliable mechanic who can look at your car? driving at any distance, I would try to replace the bald tires as a priority.

at your new job, are you able to do anything from your home? sales calls, etc.?

good luck. I hope things work out for you.

5. prairieprincess profile image97

Hi Rebekah,

Thank you. Yes, fortunately, I am able to do some from home, and am going to do as much as I can from here. I have decided to keep going at it, because it is a really good opportunity. I think it will be worth it in the long run, even though tough to start. I just pray the car keeps going!

6. 0
    Go Writerposted 5 years ago

I had a friend in a similar situation. Her car was 15 years old. For a Honda, it held out pretty well.

She finally had to call the insurance company to tow it, and they gave her $2000 for it. It was cheaper to give the money for what its worth and tow it than to fix a car that couldn't be fixed any further. 

So she used the $2000 as a down payment and got a $10,000 used SUV. She has to make payments on it, but it's getting her to and from work. She finally has heat and air. And it's a safe car.

It looks like you and your husband are going to have to fork the money up for a decent affordable car, or no one's going to work.

I wouldn't count on your house selling any time soon, but you can rent it out. Is the house in decent shape and in a good school district? Rent it out for $200 over your mortgage payments, so you can make some money from it.

Or at the very least, rent it out at mortgage cost so the house pays for itself while you and your husband save money from your work.

Find out what the landlord/tenancy laws are in your country and province. Draw up a contract. Scrutinize your tenants to make sure they're the kind who are going to pay on time. Why not make a little extra cash with what you've got?

I don't consider a car a long-term investment because it depreciates in value, but you need it to get around. So invest where essential.

7. prairieprincess profile image97

thanks Go writer. Well, some good news, in a way. I talked to the owner of the company and told him I can't drive anymore, and need to look for more steady work. He said okay, but that I can keep calling from home. No problem!

And it looks like someone might buy our trailer, so yay! As well, just applying right now for a teaching job. All of it started to come together yesterday. Here's hoping and praying!

8. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

Will the editor let you work from home until you can buy an old beater to get to work with?

9. TheSenior profile image61
    TheSeniorposted 5 years ago

First off - in what condition is the car bad or really bad - I would use some money to at least get tires me thinks that they would go before anything else specially all that driving.

I think that you said the trailer sold - good, now conserve that money and budget it like a miser - then call into office every day to find if anything, next poor over internet for writing jobs(skip all those where you must bid).  Search for those sites that pay freelancers for being a reporter.  A site that might be good for you is http://demandmedia.com  -  they are picky but being a reporter just might get you accepted.

Let your husband have top priorty with car and make a schedule for it's use.  And yes rent out the house to cover all expenses and taxes and add 25% - a vacant house earns you O.

You sound like you have a square head on your shoulders - Good! and that you are using commen sense.  Until your house sells stick to a tight budget And if possible if there any $ left over from rental - then bank this money in a savings acct.

Good Luck - Rog