jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Applications for employment

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Concerning aspects of Job interviews and hiring policies does Management's Human Resources have the right to ask a potential employee;

"Do you consider yourself a Visible Minority? If so,Why?

I have been unemployed 3 years and at every interview by Human Resources for the various companies I have applied this question is asked.

As a senior citizen, as a trained and experienced citizen, not an untrained, unexperienced immigrant, I answer yes, but does management have the right to ask the question and if not how should one change it?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I feel your pain....it seems everyone over 50 has turned invisible...
      work for yourself if possible...hmm

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

"Do you consider yourself a Visible Minority? If so,Why?

This is a new one to me. Makes me want to go off on another civil / legal rights rant concerning our beloved Corporate America. However, what would be the use... neutral

3. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

But why would they even bother asking that question.  If you're a visible minority then it should be obvious. lol

4. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Never heard of the term before so it must still be on its way to the UK. What does it mean? I guess I would fail the interview if I did not understand the question.

5. TINA V profile image81
    TINA Vposted 5 years ago

I think that the concept of visible minority was defined in the Canadian legislation, specifically, the Employment Equity Act.

Visible minority refers to whether a person belongs to a group as defined by the Employment Equity Act in Canada. It defines visible minorities as persons, other than Aboriginal peoples, who are not Caucasian in race or none white in color. The visible minority population consists mainly of the following groups: Chinese, South Asian, Black, Arab, West Asian, Filipino, Southeast Asian, Latin American, Japanese and Korean.

Questions about race are not allowed in the U.S., but here’s a link that you could check for the Canadian Laws.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/concepts/defin … e1-eng.htm

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, well. Glad to know Corporate America isn’t doing this. Yet. smile