jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do at work to increase your skills & knowledge?

1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I work in retail, doing the same thing over for most of the day - serving customers at a checkout. Don't get me wrong - I love my job compared to others I've had, but after several years there I can do most of it on auto pilot.

I often find riddles to solve or new things to think about before I go to work so I can think about them as I do my work. Or I use the time to brainstorm new hub topics or things to research when I get home. At least this way I'm still learning even if most of my job is repetitive.

What are ways that you increase your brain power while at work, in non-work related ways?

[Warning: This may end up as a hub. We'll see!]

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

Watch what people are buying. See if you can pick up ideas for stuff to sell. You're getting paid to do market research.

Watch what jewelry the women are wearing, their clothes, their perfumes. What are the kids asking for. If they have bags from other stores ask if they got any good sales.

Are you noticing any changes in clothing, makeup, books. I spend hours every week watching what people actually buy in stores.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So obvious and yet I've never thought of looking at the people as market research. I have taken hub ideas from things that sell well in the store, but never looked closely at my customers. I shall start doing that!

Unfortunately my store doesn't have any stores close by so usually customers don't have shopping bags from other locations. sad

3. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

If there aren't that many stores in your area, you might casually ask them if they ever shop online for convenience. Depends on how much chat is appropriate in your store.

But I watch people everywhere I go. Museums, grocery store, out walking. That's why marketing and sales is so much fun.

4. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

I was wondering what to say then read Nelles answer and thought ' ohhh I do that. A lot'.

So maybe that's what I do. Like Nelle for me writing is work. My desk is my place of work. I read and watch current trends, particulalry related to either anything I'm selling well or something I may be thinking of getting into now or in the future.

I also have a new website underway that's a big learning curve (topic wise) and when I have some spare time I go off reading about financial stuff. I know there's a point to having lots of web sites but I figured I'd start off with one solid, info packed one then move along.

Not sure I'm intentionally gaining knowledge so much as need to to earn a living. Still - beats not learning anything new smile

5. cgbp profile image61
    cgbpposted 5 years ago

I attend seminars and workshops. These are good avenues for career advancement. There's nothing better than interacting with people with the same interests to be able to improve in the workplace.