jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

The Japan Effect

1. Squashylights profile image60
    Squashylightsposted 5 years ago

Hello everyone,
                   It just struck my mind today morning while I was driving so thought of asking this question. With the tragedy that has struck Japan sad yesterday almost everyone have been affected in one way or another. Stock Markets crashing,Fuel Prices rising, and general life/business in south east Asia has been affected.

How will this affect online business? I mean what if I have a server which was based in a country which got affected by a natural disaster. How about loss of vital data? Is it a common practice to backup your website on another server? Will my seo rankings go down because of loss of data?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I am a newbie in this field so wanna know more about these topics.

Have a nice day ahead and pray for the people stuck in this natural disaster.

1. recommend1 profile image70
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You should back up your stuff regularly for many reasons - this could be considered one - back up to the server and a copy to your own computer.

The scenario you describe is unlikely - but there are many other unlikely scenarios out there and all together they have enough weight to tell you to backup smile

2. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't thing data would be affected.  Your data is constantly stored on servers around the world.  As far as rankings and revenue I imagine it will suffer some.  Many want the latest update on the tragedy and not necessarily to buy something.  They are much more likely to visit news sites than a hub unless it's tailored to that subject.

1. Squashylights profile image60
      Squashylightsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the replies. I will keep these points in mind when I start my own hubs/sites in future.

3. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

If you have a website of your own, all your files are stored on a server, which is just a machine. So if that building caught on fire,exploded, or even if that one machine went down, yes your files are gone.

Even Hubpages I would imagine has all files on just one server machine, however I could be wrong. Your work is not stored on different servers, just one.

However most webhost backup website files to another machine, but sometimes only on the same machine. There is no "cloud" out there, it's all simply machines.

So you should also store your work on your own computer, and also a backup hard drive. Which also are all simply machines that break down in time. hmm

On a side note, there must have been hundreds if not thousands of websites that got completely lost or shut down due to the Japan quake.

Any that were hosted on Japan servers that got destroyed went down and got lost forever if they were not backed up.

Info on the net is not as secure as people think. wink

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Bill, I found a big box in the Hubpages office with lots and wires and stuff in and said "Is that your server?" and the reply was "No, well it is a server, but we have 30" or something like that wink

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They must have a dozen or so dedicated servers. But again, if that building went up in flames, all those servers would be lost at once.

However I am sure they have others located in other places, as well as other backups.