jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

am just starting out

1. 0
    Ruach Eishposted 5 years ago

I'm just starting out self-employed tying to sell my artwork online.  I haven't finished building the website yet so am not officially in business as such quite yet, but is there anything legal/technical about running a small business which I ought to know (apart from the obvious like registering as self-employed with the inland revenue etc) ?  has anyone got any tips or advice?

2. bearnecessity profile image60
    bearnecessityposted 5 years ago

Starting a business can be very complicated but well worth it. make sure you have a dba with the county you are in and go ahead and get a tax license. in my county it was 20 bucks and 20 minutes. (so worth it). other than that make sure to keep really good records for the tax man.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

It really depends on where you are. Different states/countries have different rules. Good luck!

4. wheelinallover profile image83
    wheelinalloverposted 5 years ago

Looks like it took a while to get your first reply. Patience is something your going to have to learn. LOL
    Make sure it looks like you lose money or make very little the first two years then make sure to show a profit the third year. Nothing puts a red flag for IRS faster than losing money three years in a row. Make sure everything on your site is rated for everyone. Lawsuits have become a big thing if anyone objects to what is on your site. Watermark or sign any original art work, this is supposed to make them unusable by people who want to use your work without your permission. I have heard many times that as soon as you earn the money to pay for it Incorporate, this limits your personal liability. These suggestions only apply if you are in the United States.

1. wheelinallover profile image83
      wheelinalloverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sorry didn't read that you are in Great Britain until after I had posted. Please disregard everything but the patience, and watermarking or signing your work