jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

selling on-line - any advice?

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 5 years ago

What do you recommend for selling on-line for people that don't know computer code?  Have read that there are several content management systems.  What's some good, affordable, easy to use ones?  They can be linked into spreadsheet? Items can be turned off when not in stock?  Thinking of something that has gallery with shopping carts & paypal.

Is selling direct much more profitable than affiliate programs? Are there restrictions with using affiliates on own site?  Anyone done okay with writing on-line?  Does it depend on niche?

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A client I'm working for is using Tiger Commerce which is an easy system to use for product oriented websites. I think he said it costs about £170 per year.

smile

2. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

The answer to all that is 23.

The total 'question universe' of course is 39.

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 5 years ago

Are you talking about selling merchandise? If so there are places that are totally free and can be used very simply even if you are using a drop shipping method of listing items.

I've tried the affiliate thing for selling online and it isn't my cup of tea, but there are those that swear by it. When I did it I had my own website and there was no problem with inserting the code for the product into it in a gallery view.

I much prefer the drop shipping or selling my own items though so I have moved away from the affiliate selling.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

he is buying a bulk lot of merchandise & on-selling it

BTW, we are in Australia

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 5 years ago

Ah, ok well you can do that via a website, but you can set up an eCrater.com store for free as well as a Webstore.com store for free. You have the option at both of these sites to use paypal or google check out. You keep 100% of profits with the exception of what the check out methods might charge. For paypal you would need a merchant account not a personal one.

Neither of these sites is as popular as eBay so you have to do a fair amount of promoting but they do offer widgets that you can place in signature lines of email, on your blogs and on your website. Might be an option for you.

1. profile image0

is there a fee for a merchant account?

The eBay have restrictions on similar items

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think there is a fee for the account but they do take a portion when you sell an item. It isn't much but it is there for sure. Oh and I should mention that to verify your account to be more authentic on Webstore.com there is a paypal fee of 10 bucks which in my opinion is very high, but it does lend credibility to selling. It is purely optional to do this so don't think you can't set up an account if you don't want to verify it, you can and lots do. No such fee on eCrater.com. Just set up the store and get to listing items.

1. profile image0

Those 2 sites looked like other auction sites.  Was thinking more of own site with own product & freedom to layout as want (with templates available). 

Does a paypal merchant account allow creditcard payments?

1. recommend1 profile image71
            recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am pretty sure there is a merchandising plug-in (I think you are using Wordress??) that does what you are looking for - and Paypal merchant will have what you need and pay by credit card.

1. profile image0

does word press allow the gallery of individual items for sale?

2. profile image0
          3. profile image0
            lynnechandlerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Webstore is an auction site where you can have a store for no fee other than the 10 dollar optional verification fee. eCrater.com is a store not an auction site.

The one you are looking at is the host for Webstore. It was just a thought. Honestly though I would diversify even this like we do with writing because selling online is not easy and the more locations you have with your items out there the more likely you will be to sell your items.

working