jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

States look to Internet taxes to close budget gaps

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

States look to Internet taxes to close budget gaps

AUSTIN, Texas  State governments across the country are laying off teachers, closing public libraries and parks, and reducing health care services, but there is one place they could get $23 billion if they could only agree how to do it: Internet retailers such as Amazon.com.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_broken_bu … rnet_sales

I know some states have started collecting taxes from Amazon and the affiliates were dropped as a result...I'm hoping my state doesn't do that...
    here's another interesting article

Amazon to Connecticut, Arkansas: Drop Dead Over Sales Tax

2. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago

They need to legalize pot and forget this stupidity.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

If they legalized pot they might end war where all the money is going.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago

Only to have that problem...

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Legalizing and taxing pot won't help - nothing will until we realize that the country can't support the standard of living that we have decreed that all citizens must enjoy.

Taxing the internet is a stop gap measure as well - it is nothing but another attempt to get more taxes to pay for more services that our politicians have decided that "the people" want and that therefore keep those politicians their jobs.

6. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

Arkansas is one of those States to pass a tax bill on Amazon. I am not surprised since this State taxes us on anything. Wal-Mart is based in Arkansas and has been screaming about this since they have competition. Wally-world goes after any and all competitors.
    I have until July 24 and then it is "no more Amazon partnership."