jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What does a business person think when you approach them with an idea?

1. maplethorpej profile image85
    maplethorpejposted 5 years ago

For example, I want to go around to all the local restaurants and bars and inform them of a website that I am creating for the city - a directory of restaurants and bars. I want to ask them to call me and schedule a time for me to visit their business and write a review of it for the website...

Is this a good approach, and what should I expect to hear from them? Thanks for any advice!

1. Beelzedad profile image61
      Beelzedadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Probably not much. Why would they expect your review of their restaurant to have any credibility? What's in if for them and their bottom line? Surely, as far as a directory is concerned, what makes your website any more easier to find a local restaurant than a simple google search, for example?

2. 60
    RossVentroneposted 5 years ago

3. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Assuming that yours is a genuine free offer in the blizzard of adverising and general trickery - then you need to have a site to show them and show them where they will be in it - then you have to convince them that it will be free, and hope they believe that you will not start charging them advertising space when you have enough people in your directory and if not then WHY NOT - then you will find that most of the restaurants and bars are owned ultimately by the same person or group who will send you to their 'head office' who will refuse to see you.

Or you may be lucky in your city and get a good thing going there big_smile

4. maplethorpej profile image85
    maplethorpejposted 5 years ago

lol thank you Panda (recommend1). The service will be completely free and it will run off of advertisements from other local businesses. Here in Menomonie, Wis., drinking is practically the No. 1 hobby. So, the city has been cracking down on the bars and restaurants.

This website is being developed to 'save the little guys' from more and more regulations.

Hopefully they'll understand the gesture is genuine smile

Thanks again!

P.S. Hello, RossVentrone!