Are Personality Tests Valid in the New Hire Process?

1. cooldad profile image59
    cooldadposted 5 years ago

I was recently laid off and while seeking new employment I've taken several personality tests for employers.  I find myself developing my answers to fit the position I'm applying for in an attempt to answer how I think the employer would want me to.

I find myself doing the same thing while interviewing. The interview process for me is just attempting to find the mold I think the employer wants me to fit.

Am I the only person who feels personality tests are extremely flawed and not really an accurate method to evaluate potential employees?

1. supplies expert profile image60
      supplies expertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, I think more than 50% of the people taking personality tests skew their results to what they think the employer wants.  With that being said, maybe the employers are not looking for someone who is exactly that person, but at least they're looking for the person who knows the right answer even as stupid as they might be sometimes.  I remember one question was if I noticed I walked out of the office with a pen from work, would I bring it back that instant, go home and bring it back the next day, or go home and forget about it. 

My answer, Go back and bring it that instant, but realistically who would do that.

As for interviews, I typically try to act as myself, and read their body language quickly, if I see it's not going well then I try to change up my attitude towards everything.  Realistically though, do I want to work at a place where I can't be myself? Nah.