jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Your job or your happiness?

1. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 5 years ago

I'm on the verge of closing down my firm, which I've been handling for the past 4  years. I love being an accountant but I've discovered I'm not happy with what I'm currently doing. As it is, I don't have another job in line and I want to go full time in online writing and outsourcing jobs so money will be a little tight for the next year or so. But I want to see if this is what I really want and this is where I will be happy.

What about you? Would you give up a well - paying job (or a steady business) just because you're not happy with it and do something where money is not guaranteed but you think you where you will be comfortable and happy in the future?

1. Nixhe profile image60
      Nixheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Both things are important in my life, if I were to choose one it would be my happiness. Why? I work for one reason that is to give my family a better life and my future children wealth. Things things makes me happy but in a point my job will be nothing if it takes every single thing which, makes not just smile but laugh.

2. ubanichijioke profile image48
    ubanichijiokeposted 5 years ago

My happiness will come first but it must be thoroughly planned out. It is not something you just wake up and dabble into. Certainly, you cannot live without money, eating or providing for your family. If it is me, i will keep my job and work for some time, do a little saving[s] and then quit knowing that i can survive. Thanks

emievilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually we do have little savings but when you're out of work, that little can quickly be zero. As to lack of planning, waking up and dabbling into it, well, guilty as charged smile.

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Happiness first. I did leave a job once because I was miserable. I was pretty good at it, and it was a good source of income; but my husband picked me up for lunch one day and I broke out in tears when we were headed back. The thought of going back up to that office was terrible. He asked if there was anything in my desk I wanted. When I said no, he put the car in gear and we drove away. I was in shock, but didn't feel guilty about quitting on short notice. I didn't have a great deal of respect for the business. I did, however, gain a deeper respect for my husband. I was making very good money and he didn't hesitate to do what he thought was in the best interest of my hapiness.

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
      GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Emile R,
      What a great story and credit to your husband.  Wow!  It reads like a movie script.  Thank you for sharing.

I did interview once and the man asked IF I was married which I was at the time-later found out he was a tyrant and used the job and the money over the female's head.  I turned the job down-wow!  Was I ever lucky!

2. emievil profile image84

I did that once in my previous work, just cried over my ex - boyfriend's shoulder. Needless to say I resigned after a few months.

Kudos to your husband. He's a good man.

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I love my work, but even if I hated it, I'd stay with it because it's not just about me.  I have my own business and employees to think about and if I close shop, what happens to them?  So, I do what I do not only because it makes me happy but it provides a living for others also.

Actually, I stayed this long because of the people who depended on me. But then I realized it's kind of unfair to them if their boss is no longer 100% in her work. Even though I have to leave, they have assurance that they will have jobs after I leave. Fortunately, other employers or accountants were willing to hire them right after I close down.

5. Lyla Day profile image79
    Lyla Dayposted 5 years ago

I'm happiness all the way. I've switched careers after years as a paralegal, but better late than never. You need to realize that you have one life. So, why spend it doing something you're not really happy doing? I told myself I want to wake up every morning excited to do what I do - not dread going to work. I also realized that that's the difference between having a career and having a job - happiness. I opt for happiness.

Thanks Lyla Day.

6. BethanRose profile image88
    BethanRoseposted 5 years ago

It's a tough one but I have to say happiness. I quit my well paying job to pursue freelance writing. I'm not rolling in the money yet, but I'm definitely happier!

7. 0
    Go Writerposted 5 years ago

I did give up a well-paying government job because I was not happy with it. I signed the paperwork and left within a year. Fortunately, I had a big severance pay to help me out, but I have to admit that I practically squandered it, and then the economy fell, too. Not a good combo.

If you plan to do any online writing, do your research well, because you're honestly going to have to do some marketing. And if you plan on doing any online writing, you'll need to be well-versed in SEO.

You may be able, especially through your old clients, to provide online writing services. So don't throw away your contacts. Just tell them that you're providing a new service.

Check out blogs like: MakeALivingWriting.com, Ink Well Editorial, Men With Pens, Copyblogger, Freelance gigs, and look at Craiglist Ads in the telecommuting section.

There's freelance writing for marketing and SEO companies that you see online, and then there are content mills like Text Broker and London Brokers that pay very low. However, they are a good place to practice your online writing and build a tiny portfolio. You already work well with clients, but you will be providing a different service.

The average pay an online writer receives is about $10 per article (roughly 400-words). Overseas it might be cheaper than that.

So if you're willing to do what you love, then go for it. Perhaps you hate what you do, but you would rather scale it down to something you can control. How about creating a finance blog on accounting, money saving tips, common mistakes you see people make in a downward economy, common accounting problems you see both businesses and individuals make, etc.

Accounting might not have the same flare that it did for you before, but it can be related to other things like: being thrifty, saving money. Blogs about finance and savings are huge on the internet. Look at sites like Wisebread. Perhaps, you can offer an accounting angle or a savings angle that's still helpful.

You can then monetize that blog with ads, any amazon books about finance you think are useful. There's an idea where you might be able to transfer from of your skill over into writing. You also have the option of getting an autoresponder and offering customer's specialized tips per week, etc. You may even consider creating your own ebook on easy accounting.

So you have avenues out there for you. It will take some time. Think about it. Plan it out. Invest wisely in your endeavor. Make sure it's something you want to do.

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think it would be wise to build up your freelancing sideline before going full time.  It is an innately insecure, variable occupation and you don't want to be without basics like healthcare.

9. Sniyer profile image61
    Sniyerposted 5 years ago

Hello Emievil , you change your life with a comfortable work from home? I'm talking about a system that can get you lots of money and a lot of satisfaction. If you want to know pù contattamMy Reserve Bank