jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What should college grads do who cannot find a job?

1. lizzy893 profile image59
    lizzy893posted 5 years ago

What would you do if you were a newly college grad and you cannot seem to find any work, or if you are a fresh out of college and cannot find work what are  you doing??

1. 72
      SanXuaryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Join the protesters in New York on Wall Street or when they get somewhere near your location. Support all local and small businesses and remember money is a tool for buying tools and not a status.

2. lizzy893 profile image59
      lizzy893posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the great advice everyone

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Go to where you can get a job, no matter how sucky. You presumably have no dependents, mortgage etc and it is important to try and maintain a record of employment

3. Lady_E profile image81
    Lady_Eposted 5 years ago

Create your Own business. Example: Teaching a Language (English) or Teaching Computer Training. (Even if it's just the basics - Word / XL / Powerpoint /Email.

Worried about Computer Costs? - Carry out Training on your clients site.

Worried about Office? - Use your home - work and prepare from home.

Worried about an Address to use? Rent a Post Office Box.

Business Website? Create one for FREE on the Internet.

In the UK, registering a one man business is FREE, opening a business account is free. All you need is Business Cards - Letter Heads (optional)

Add a positive attitude to this and I promise you - things will take off nicely.

1. 0
      Home Girlposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Desperation - mother of invention. Just don't sit pitying yourself.  You are not alone in this.

4. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Move furniture or clean toilets for a living if you have to. Until you'll figure it out.

1. PegCole17 profile image89
      PegCole17posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amen. The frustration of being underemployed is understandable. I worked many jobs that were beneath my capabilities and education level just to get a foot in the door of a decent company even after graduation.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A person did not attend college to clean toilets and/or move furniture.  Those jobs are for elementary school graduates.   The axiom that any job is better than no job is totally passe.   I believe that college graduates should hold out until they obtain a commensurate job to their educational level, not if a suitable job.   But a job cleaning toilets and moving furniture- those jobs are TOO GOOD for college graduates.   Besides, if a college graduate has that kind of experience on a resume,  he/she will NEVER obtain a professional level job.  A prospective employer would consider such a job candidate to be totally subpar and not intelligent enough to obtain a substantial job!  If faced with such dismal choices, it is better for a college graduate to sit out until a suitable job arises. 

However.....yes, there is always a however.   While being unemployed, the college graduate can always volunteer at an organization, gaining relevant work experience.  He/she can be an at home tutor to neighbor's children.   Hopefully, he/she has a computer and use computer skills to write, advertise, and broadcast himself/herself to prospective employers.   That was how one reality show star got noticed- she was a recent college graduate without a job so she elected to use the computer to broadcast herself-viola, she is now a reality tv star. 

There are so many avenues(good career moves) that a college graduate can use to advance himself/herself.  I want to say: College graduates, you are in the 21st century and have computers, use those resources wisely and maybe, you will become a millionaire and not be a wage slave.   Think, create, and go with the new paradigm.   Cleaning toilets and moving furniture-ugh, get real.  No one does that anymore unless they are not educated and unskilled!   There are avenues open to you new generation of college graduates which were not open before- use those avenues and use them well!

5. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

take over wall street.  If the job market is not producing jobs for you then keep going to school.  A higher degree will pass the time and maybe there will be jobs then.  A higher degree will also open new doors for you.  I am sure that is the last thing that a graduate wants to here but regardless of the job market,  our education can never be taken away from us.

6. hptaszy08 profile image61
    hptaszy08posted 5 years ago

Me as well, I'm a college graduate and can't seem to get work. The only answer I get is the economy is bad! You have to take any job you get at this point, and hope that more jobs are available in the new year to come.

7. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

What is their degree in? There are articles on hubpages and elsewhere on the best jobs per major.

1. hptaszy08 profile image61
      hptaszy08posted 5 years ago in reply to this

My degree is in Education, and I have an Associates Degree. Still taking classes to get my Bachelor's Degree in Business. Can be a substitute teacher or an aide at a school, but they never have any job openings.