jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How should I handle a problem client and no company support?

1. mymarie profile image62
    mymarieposted 5 years ago

What should I do when my company will not provide help and support with a problem account?  I do project corrdination for commercial development, I am employed by a third party company which is small and family owned.  For the past 6+ months I have experienced issues with a client who will not follow procedures, costing the company time and money, not to mention the all-day headaches on their projects.  I have addressed the procedural issues with the client several times and the client will not follow procedures.  I have addressed these issues with every level of management and can not get anyone to help me lead this client in the right direction.  I am not getting the support I should and I feel the company does not care of the issues or money it is costing. Do I just cover my tail and move on, even though I know it is not best for the company, the client, or my sanity?

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Wow. I feel for you. We have the same issues with several of our subcontractors. You really can simply cover your butt. I'm not sure what issues you have, but the ones I deal with; I simply document..save the emails. Don't communicate via phone unless absolutely necessary. When asked by upper management what the problem is, I forward the email string. End of conversation with me, they contact the problem.

I've found some only react when their money is in a logjam. So, I cut communication off at about three requests and then let their checks stall out. If I knew the specific issues I could probably give you some tips. I think I've come up with a solution that may not solve all of the problems with ours, but it is going to reduce headaches company wide once we've implemented it.

1. mymarie profile image62
      mymarieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My main issues are with the logistics phases of these projects, with that we have deadlines for the order on shipments to site, then we have formats specific for each order, timelines, budgets, the whole nine yards that have to run a spefic way to keep the project on track, within budget, etc.  This client will not follow any procedures I give them.  I don't get it.  I work with so many people and have never ran into issues like this; they simply will not follow procedures.  As they see it, they are doing no wrong even though due to their lack of following procedures their projects (they are the client here) are running way over budget and I explain why and they don't think they are at fault.  I am trying to get the client to work with me but they won't.  When the projects go over budget the client starts short paying my invoices to them; which they can not do.  I've explained, forwarded emails, copied managemet, etc...they are not doing anything about it.  This is a large client and it's such a headache.  I'm beside myself and completely at a loss....why wouldn't the client want to follow procedures, it helps him, and why does my company not care.  I think one of the problems is maybe I care too much.

1. Beth Godwin profile image83
        Beth Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You have done all you can do.  Keep copies of all emails and keep forwarding a copy to management.  If you are not receiving help from your direct supervisor send a blind copy to their boss.  CYA and let it go.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

The main thing to do is to document the client's action and make your superiors aware of specific incidents periodically (record date, time, people present, action recommended, client action, photographs when relevant, and any primary documents).  The client is free to shoot themselves in the foot, but you need to be able to prove it wasn't your doing.