jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)

World is sizing up - Today it crossed 7 Billion Mark - 700,000,0000

1. Techbook profile image60
    Techbookposted 5 years ago

Today UN's forecase has estimated that today the world's population has crossed 7 billion mark which is unbelievably 7 hundred crores. The statistics has put many experts to think... will there be space crunch within small and big cities.

1. diogenes profile image82
      diogenesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is already a space problem in the mega-cities.  One reason for this is that those born to privilege - in Europe at least - hold a hugely disproportionate share of both city property and rural land.  Another amazing statistic is all 7 billion could be jamned into France!  We use far more of the finite resources than we should per individual.  Potable water is on the cusp of running out and the future is grim for a species which seems genetically unable to control its birthrate...diogenes

2. Techbook profile image60

Where has the generiosity in people gone. Why couldn't the super power countries expand their borders and then other countries follow the same to understand the problem of space crunch.
    Even they would have kids in future and then their kids will have their own....it is high time super power countries think about it and take a brave step for the benefit of mankind. We can't leave such matters at hope.

To make this forum more interesting I will release some statistics now...
    In Zurich per density is 3900 (sq,km), this is world's most livable city and guess what all these people can fit in half of INDIA.
    In Paris per density is 20980 (sq,km), you know what that means entire population can fit in state of Maharashtra. By the way Maharashtra is part of India and highly populated metro cities yet it can accomodate population of Paris.

3. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

I'm not worried about space crunch. Growing up in rural Nebraska, I know there's plenty of land for billions more. It's resources that worry me. Humans as a species are already using the equivalent of 1.4 Earths worth of resources every year. This level of consumption is not sustainable and will doom our children and grandchildren to a much poorer and harsher existence.

4. Greek One profile image78
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

..that's a whole lot of unprotected sexual intercourse

1. melbel profile image91
      melbelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If EVERYONE used a condom and given a typical-use fail rate of 8%, 560,000,000 were born as a result of condom failure.

If my math's not off.

1. Greek One profile image78
        Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

so what you are saying is that oral sex is the only solution to the birth control issue?

1. pisean282311 profile image59
          pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

there is another solution too...lock up the greek one....

1. Greek One profile image78
            Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

nah, wouldn't work.. parts of me could escape through the bars

Hi Pisean.. where have you been?

1. pisean282311 profile image59
              pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

busy contributing in being 7 billion smile

1. SiddSingh profile image62
                SiddSinghposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

1. itech profile image56
                  itechposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You have three heads lol

2. itech profile image56
            itechposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. JasonCulley profile image60
      JasonCulleyposted 5 years ago

I read that this morning on CNN.com . . .CRAZY!

3. Techbook profile image60

So we agree on countries which has long landscapes which can accommodate a billion more but the concern is consumption as shared by Mel. I can't even suggest import goods from other countries which produce lot of food in their natives because we got greedy Governments in the power who will take advantage of it thus resulting that to more inflation.

So I say it is time for people across all ranks to be generous and understand this  issue and take it as a warning and not to ignore it as always.....

No one agreed on this.

4. profile image0
      Wilfionposted 5 years ago

India has the fastest growing population in the world and will soon outnumber China's population.  Europe actually has a decreasing population of European heritage, although the overall population is growing quickly due to immigration.  In parts of Italy for example, there are whole villages and small towns, which have only one or two elderly people left living there, whilst the buildings fall into ruin.  And the native European population is an ageing one, with the elderly outnumbering the young.  In the immigrant population, it is the other way around.  The young outnumber the elderly.  For instance the biggest age group in the British Muslim population is of those under the age of four.

Wrong on both counts.

The "soon" is going to come sometime between 2030 and 2035. Now, 20 years is not much by cosmic standards, but it is still some distance away.

India does not have the fastest growing population. In fact, it is ranked 93. What confuses most people to believe so is the incredibly large base of population that is in the child bearing range - about 60-65% population is aged 35 years and BELOW. That translates into something like - hold your breath - 700 million people  who can potentially bear children.

2. Techbook profile image60
        Techbookposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sidd on a contrary Wilfion is stressing his point on fastest growing. As we know population sensex is still not so accurate in India as in other countries. But still you are making a legitimate statement in your response.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

the base is big, when it is multiplied to the rate of population growth, the result is huge number, as in India case.

In most European countries the problem is aging population. Not so many people to replenish or replace those who will give birth, thus there is the rise in the problem about elderly care, age of retirement and pension etc

6. Techbook profile image60

thanks pretty for that note. Aging is a sensitive subject.....they are our future. What I mean to say is we are seeing ourselves in their eyes 40 years from now. If we don't take care of them then nobody else will do for us.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
        prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

depends on culture. Almost all European countries or the more developed countries have elderly homes and it works ok in their setting. In most Asian countries parents go to the oldest daughter or son when they grow old.

In some cases specially if the economy is not good, the services for the elderly are sacrificed.

7. Techbook profile image60

Yes, European countries are adapted to that environment but Asian countries cannot digest that someone else need to take care of them. Even today parents stay with their favourite Son or Daughter.

8. ftclick profile image60
      ftclickposted 5 years ago

I believe in nature and a natural event is for population to decrease. In other words, (you'l probably hate me for this) but something will happen to bring it down considerably. It is not negative it is just the law of nature or the law of God.

We are a species just like bears, birds, but obviously more intelligent, population becomes controlled at some point either through natural disaster, war, plague etc but something will decrease it. This is positive in the sense it will help the younger generation.

working