jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Working 2 jobs -- Am I in conflict of interest in my situation?

1. SPomposello profile image80
    SPomposelloposted 4 years ago

I work as a Phlebotomist full time at a hospital. Then, I work as an EMT *per diem* (meaning I choose which days/shifts I want to work) for a private EMS company that picks up and drops off patients from that same hospital (that hospital is one of their many contracts they deal with). Attendance is never an issue, I only work at the per diem job on my days off from the full time job, and I only pick up like 3 days a month at the per diem job. So no problems with lateness/tardiness.

Thing is I was reading over my employee handbook for the full time job (the hospital) and regarding conflict of interest, one of the examples it uses to describe it is:

'If you are a member on the governing board or an officer of another organization that does business with or competes with hospital.'

Being that the EMS company/per diem job handles patient transport to and from that hospital, I guess that counts as "does business with". However, I'm not "a member on the governing board" or "an officer", by these terms, I'm guessing they're referring to high executive or administrative-based positions? Whereas I'm just an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)?

Also, it's not like I can really hide the fact that I work both places, because sometimes my EMS job will give us a patient who must be transported or picked up from that particular hospital, so people have seen me there and greeted me and such. So....

Any insight?

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 4 years ago

You are not in conflict of interest... because you are not in a management position.  This would be applicable to you if you were handling the contracts for the hospital and working for the sub-contracting company.

3. 0
    mickelarrposted 4 years ago

Maybe people in the medical profession, nurses in particular, work full-time for one company and per-diem with another.  Or, they work full-time and do home health on the side.  It's not a conflict of interest.  However, some companies do have a requirement where you must report any part-time employement to human resources.  It's not that they'll stop you from doing it; they just want to know.

If you're unsure, check with HR.

4. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 4 years ago

A great point mickelarr:  Within healthcare it is very common for practitioners to float between competitive facilities.... It is always a good idea to make that known to HR.

1. SPomposello profile image80
      SPomposelloposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would do that, let HR know, but I just don't want them to see me in a negative light because I've been doing it without their knowledge for the past 9 months that I've been working at the hospital.

5. somedress2011 profile image60
    somedress2011posted 4 years ago

i will follow my interesting ,follow the thing i love ,then i will work more happy and High efficiency