jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever been involved in industrial action?

1. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

After a day of widespread union industrial action in the Uk I thought i'd ask if any of the hubbers out there has been involved in taking industrial action and going on strike?

Why did you do it? What was the cause? Do you think your action was worthwhile?

Or alternately do you feel your union put pressure on you to strike? Did you follow the crowd to make sure you weren't singled out? Or did you just use it as an opportunity to get a day off work?

1. Mercia Collins profile image71
      Mercia Collinsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

NHS unions certainly do not pressurize members to strike. Nor do NHS unions take action lightly, they agonize in making their decisions. Something that was not mentioned in the news reports yesterday is that there was the same staff yesterday as there is over a bank holiday or ordinary weekend for all essential services.

1. CyclingFitness profile image93
        CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Having worked in education for a period I found that strike action almost felt pressurised amongst some union members- particularly by Union reps and you almost singled yourself out if you weren't involved.

1. Mercia Collins profile image71
          Mercia Collinsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

seems education ver different to NHS

2. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago

When I was in the Public Sector I did strike, however it is so cold in the private sector that I would not dream of it

3. MazioCreate profile image74
    MazioCreateposted 4 years ago

During 33 years in education I went out on strike on several occasions, because that was the number of times the Union called strike action.  The Queenland Teachers' Union uses strike action as the last resort and when they do stike it is over major issues that impact teachers on a daily basis. My role as the Union Area Representative and Women's Rep gave me the opportunity to understand the issues and reasons for striking. I believe that having a collective voice, the Union, gives all teachers opportunities for improved working conditions.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Many years ago I worked as a unionized laborer on road construction.  Every year I was there we went on strike (although I don't remember ever voting) for 1 to 2 weeks.  The raise we got was enough to cover our lost wages while on strike if we worked the rest of the year.

It did, however, rather explain the question of why laborers picking up trash alongside the road were worth about 3 times the then minimum wage.