jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Long-Term Investment: Apple or Google?

1. Max Dalton profile image79
    Max Daltonposted 4 years ago

Hi All:

I just thought I'd throw this question into the vortex: Is Apple or Google the better long-term investment? Right now Google is trading around $625 and Apple is trading around $390. I know they're viewed as two different kinds of companies (Apple is viewed as a hardware company and Google is viewed as a software company), but if you had to choose, which one do you feel has the better long-term prospects? I don't believe any company has much if any long-term debt, both generate an impressive amount of free cash flow, and each company is heavily invested in research and development projects to help ensure they are still viable companies further down the road. I think Google has the greatest potential of the two because of its willingness to venture into new waters and take on more risky projects, and that greater risk could result in a greater reward. It seems like Apple is content releasing new versions of its core line of products on a yearly basis, but it seems like the year-over-year improvements are getting less and less impressive, which will result in Apple continuing to grow earnings at a pretty steady clip that will be fairly predictable. I'd bank on Google, but I'm curious what your thoughts are.

1. perfectperception profile image60
      perfectperceptionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think Apple.  They are not going anywhere, are increasingly developing new gadgets, and are said to be the best by most "big heads"; the smart people. LOL

2. Max Dalton profile image79

I think there's a strong case to be made for Apple, but I just feel like it's becoming too reliant on the iPhone, iPad and iPod lines. I have to admit, they've done a good job of working to build a halo effect with iOS and how the devices work with other Apple devices, I feel like Google is doing a good job of competing with Apple at its own game, is still the big dog in search and doesn't have the cost of manufacturing the hardware to mess with.

3. barryrutherford profile image37
    barryrutherfordposted 4 years ago

Iam going to go with Google.  When they went public they were $85 top has been around $750. At the height of the GFC they were $295

They continue to innovate add products take over companies which boost their  product offerings. But then I am biased.

4. infination profile image60
    infinationposted 4 years ago

Apple, because they are a manufacturer of hardware and software, and have been established since the PC market's inception.  Their products are aesthetically pleasing, well crafted and engineered, and they are competing successfully in the PC market, the mobile market, the tablet market, the telecom market, and have the most loyal customer base in the information technology industry.

5. infination profile image60
    infinationposted 4 years ago

As far as an immediate buy, the obvious point here is that Apple has had total success as a publically-shared corporation for much, much longer, and it costs almost half as much to get in right now.   Google's stock would initially cost you over 60% to get in right now, during a time of global economic uncertainty and instability.

6. Max Dalton profile image79

Great points, all. I think they both have good long-term prospects, but I was just curious what other people thought.

7. DIY Backlinks profile image59
    DIY Backlinksposted 4 years ago

I think long term Google would be the better investment. Loaded with money and always looking to get in other types of businesses. That just makes for a better formula for investment in my opinion.