jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)

What is panda I am a bit confused

1. yols-a profile image61
    yols-aposted 5 years ago

I am newbie alot things seem like a foreign language to me

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I remember feeling that way when I was new. I still feel that way sometimes.

This article was written this past summer, but it explains what it is and isn't.
      http://searchengineland.com/why-google- … date-82564

2. tvaproductions profile image61
      tvaproductionsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Panda helps Google to fight content robbers and spammers. Please keep in mind that, if your site is providing relevant, useful content to searchers, then Panda is nothing for you to worry about. Simply stay on the right track, and watch your website grow.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This might be what Google intended their new algo to do, though I have my doubts and think they are and were always more interested in placating big business than worrying about small fry like us, but I can assure you Panda is and continues to be something that a lot of us can worry about.

As Skyfire says below, not only have I had 100s of hubs stolen, Google is rating them above mine, the originals.

Nothing to worry about?

2. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not entirely true.

My business site took a BIG Panda hit and the major reason seems to be that other sites deleted long standing organic links pointing to my pages.

Now, admittedly those links were ancient in my case, and perhaps should have been purged anyway, but fear of Panda by others CAN affect you.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image85
          Peter Hogganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From what you say PC, the removal of links to your site was the problem, rather than Panda. Google still counted them and was passing on benefit, hence your site took a dive when they were removed. This has nothing to do with any algorithm update in my opinion.

In another thread you said that the owners of the sites were scared about the effects of Panda on their sites and started culling content that links to yours.

I am curious to why they started culling the content in the first place. Can you say?

1. Pcunix profile image90

What i am saying is that ANOTHER site can react to Panda and affect you -  it is indirect, yes, but it is still the result of an algorithm change ,

I did explain why.  It is all ancient stuff, of interest to only a very few people now.  As I said, it probably should have happened anyway and would have happened anyway given enough time.  Panda hastened it.

All I'm getting at is that in another context, someone could have problem free content and lose juice because of an overreaction to an algorithm change.  It is a minor point and unlikely to affect many.

It’s an interesting point though. I was asking if you could be more precise. The number of lost links from unique IP's must have been considerable to bring this about. I am just curious about the mechanics of this as Panda wasn’t about altering the link graph it was a poor attempt at culling thin content.

Any info you could share would be helpful.

1. Pcunix profile image90

I wish I could be more specific.  I never paid attention to links because mine were all organic and unsolicited.

I only know what Anallytics tells me - massive drop in referrals.  I'd have to spend a lot of time going backward in time to see which were important and it is not going to change anything, so why bother?

The drop would have happened eventually anyway.  I tried to transition, but I can't compete with the big guys.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image85

I wrote a hub that reflects my opinions about Panda, have a read. Although written just after Panda 1 it is still relevant.

2. QuestionMaster profile image89
    QuestionMasterposted 5 years ago

Google delivers the most relevant search results to users using a secret algorithm which chooses pages based on things like keywords, backlinks, title, URL, authority of site and other (unknown) factors.

Google changes this algorithm hundreds of times each year but most changes are small and only impact maybe 1% of searches, if that.

When Google makes a BIG change to its algorithm, it usually gets a name. The big algorithm change which began at the end of February '11 was originally nicknamed the Farmer update but was then officially renamed as Panda.

The Panda update resulted in search results being all over the place and some people gaining heaps of traffic and others losing nearly all of it.

3. yols-a profile image61
    yols-aposted 5 years ago

Thank you rebekah

4. 0
    Go Writerposted 5 years ago

That was a really good article, Rebekah. I'll have to look at that more often. To help you out with how to optimize your content pages to be more visible to the internet, Yols-a, the free articles and tutorials on Wordtracker's site are really good at teaching you how to make your articles friendly for search engines as well as for human readers.

Here's one of their articles: http://www.wordtracker.com/academy/seo- … ogle-video

5. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

This is funniest joke of 2011. I'm damn sure that hubbers are going to laugh at it especially those who got their content stolen.

6. yols-a profile image61
    yols-aposted 5 years ago

okay thank so kindly

7. mythbuster profile image85
    mythbusterposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the explanations and article links.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Panda, panda panda.  Google is making more changes in 2012.

9. LindaSmith1 profile image61

This is a liink to a blog I follow. This guy stays on top of Google.  he has interesting post this morning, so get ready again. This may explain as to what is already going on.

johnpaul.visibli.com

10. Gaizy profile image92
    Gaizyposted 5 years ago

From what IzzyM has been saying, it makes one wonder what Googles real motives are. How can they not know which article is the original one - surely the date it was posted would give them a clue! Google seem to know everything else that happens on the internet, how could they not know the date and time of each posting. The first instance of any article appearing on the net must be the original - mustn't it? Or am I missing something?

11. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 5 years ago

A few weeks ago Google updated their Query Deserves Freshness (QDF) algo. Under the new QDF rules it could be possible that scraped content with a more recent index date gets a boost that allows it to outrank the original.

12. rbe0 profile image62
    rbe0posted 5 years ago

This educational video helped me understnad a lot better about what panda really is. i hope it halp u 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelj-sddLiA

13. Gaizy profile image92
    Gaizyposted 5 years ago

I still don't get it - The oldest posting date has to be the original. More recent examples of the work have to be the copies - don't they?

Yep one would think so, but there are occasions where the original isn’t the first versions indexed, you also have QDF to contend with and many other factors Google uses to score a document.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Peter I don't know what QDF is, but Google have made a total arse of things as far as I am concerned.

It was a Panda update that screwed up my subdomain as all was fine until August 10th.

Now, everything I wrote before this date, PLUS everything I have written since is being stolen right left and centre.

Mine are the first indexed, I check to see that my new hubs are indexed by putting the full url into search, and it comes up, but of course the hub will never be found by its' keywords because Google buries it.

Then a few weeks later, along comes a scraper and Google places it higher.

I would have no traffic at all if it hadn't been for the other Googles - co.uk, .ca, .com.au - and Bing, Yahoo, the odd internet forum who picks my work up, etc.

But from Google.com, no.

It doesn't make sense, not does it make sense for me to continue publishing.

However, to any newbies reading this, I did start a new subdomain and it is doing fine.

Most of my publishing efforts are going there, naturally, but this account here features two years of hard work and Panda update destroyed it, and I don't understand why.

IzzyM, did you see a drop in rankings happen around the end of November and early December if so that ties in with the QDF update.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Round about the start of Decemeber I saw my hubs rise in the 'rest of the world' Googles, but if, anything, fall in the Google.com rankings.

Overall, not much change, perhaps slightly up because Google.com were not sending me much traffic anyway.

Ah so the QDF is the freshness update?

14. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I thought scraper was to catch and get rid of duplicate content that is stolen, etc.

working