jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Applying online

1. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 4 years ago

There is no other way to apply anywhere anymore apparently. And it's scary. When you try to apply, you come across things like this:

By applying for this position, you are agreeing to waive your right to a jury trial...

If you are in the state of California, you waive your right to the protection afforded by the statutes of California protecting you from exactly what the statute was written to protect you from...

If you click on an application, no if you SEE an application, no if you even see an AD for an -- no wait, if an ad about us flashes past your eyes momentarily, you automatically waive all rights as an American citizen and agree that we now have rights to all your income, your home, your children, your very life. Additionally, you agree by having caught a glimpse of anything out of the corner of your eyes that anytime we have to go to court for something, you owe us money whether you are involved or not. By hearing the company name mentioned in public conversation, you agree that you will work without compensation for us for the remainder of your natural life including any time spent on life support, or in the memories of your children, grandchildren, friends, acquaintances, in any form we so choose whether stated now or in the future, and you are subject to all terms set forth here and to any terms we may add in the future, whether electronic, print, or mere intention. You further agree...

I'm so sick of this.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I wrote a civil-rights-related rant on this awhile back.

The problems are two-fold.

The first is the rampant stupidity of the majority of the population who routinely sign contracts without reading or understanding them.

The second is the rampant unethical conduct by the majority of business entities because of their awareness of the first.

3. TLMinut profile image60

Another one i just saw today, I can't believe this. I realize it isn't intended to be as all-encompassing as it is, but it IS! When I say that, I mean it's merely intended to protect the company but really...

For an hourly retail, possibly minimum wage position, you are expected to agree:

that the company may use your name, likeness, and all biographical information from now until forever even once you no longer work there, in any form they choose, edited or not in any way they choose...

AND any intellectual property you develop during the time of your employment using their resources or not, with or without another person, becomes their property even after you no longer work with their company.

Are they joking?!

TLMinutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This one isn't like that last ranted paragraph of my first post, these were real. As were the first two examples in my first post, slightly paraphrased but only because i don't remember the EXACT wording. But they are REAL.

4. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago

I belong to a freelance job board.

A few months back, I submitted a proposal for a job writing articles about home decor.

The client wanted me to sign a contract which (amongst other things) contained a "non-compete" clause which would have prevented me from doing any other home decor articles for anyone else for the next two years.

I turned the job down.

TLMinutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You know, that at least had something to do with the job. Non-compete clauses are normal, aren't they? Though only if they were going to be paying you for work over those two years...the things in these contracts are unbelievable.

I need to make $$ from home. Or, even better, find a way to not need money at all.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
        EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, this was a short term thing that would only have earned me $200 at best.

5. TLMinut profile image60

Okay, agreed, yet another example of attempted extortion! Absurd.