jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

I am looking for work

1. sid_candid profile image59
    sid_candidposted 4 years ago

I am looking to make money by offering article writing services. Can you suggest how to find clients for this. I have tried sites like Elance, Odesk etc with no success. I would appreciate if someone can help me get work or offer work.

1. brittanytodd profile image91
      brittanytoddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Try Demand media Studios.  You can write for eHow and make $15 per article.  I did that for a while and although you cannot pick your topics, it does bring in a steady income depending on what you can write about.

2. LucidDreams profile image82
    LucidDreamsposted 4 years ago

Have you tried checking gigs on your local craigslist?

3. sid_candid profile image59

I am not from US and my country's major cities craiglist doesn't have much writing jobs.

4. emievil profile image85
    emievilposted 4 years ago

Have you tried other freelancing jobs such as general transcription?

1. sid_candid profile image59
      sid_candidposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would like to know more about it and how and where do I get these jobs?

1. emievil profile image85
        emievilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can look under the Admin Support category in Elance. there's a sub - category there on transcription. Most of them are business transcription and they don't require formal training.

5. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

Try liveperson.com also if you have any other skills... i have done a couple of small things on there and it seems ok so far..

6. sid_candid profile image59

Thanks Leanman for your advice. I will certainly try liveperson.com. Just wanted to know if it involves bidding for jobs like other freelancing sites.

7. BizGenGirl profile image85
    BizGenGirlposted 4 years ago

I would check out Odesk, Elance, Textbroker and Freelancer. Then I would log into Craigslist, but not into a craigslist page from your area, since you said there are no writing jobs, so try elsewhere, like the US or UK. Then start a few blogs, and maybe a Behance account and show off what you write - make sure that you have contact info on the blog, so people can reach you.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

Try Textbroker.uk

Unfortunately, you can't always expect people to find work for you. It's something you have to do yourself like we all do.

9. davenmidtown profile image86
    davenmidtownposted 4 years ago

when I first started... I used writer access.com and then moved to warriorforum.com which is a forum board and posted an ad... cost $20... I found enough work from that $20 post to keep me working steady for the next year....and I still have clients from there.

10. davenmidtown profile image86
    davenmidtownposted 4 years ago

Interactmedia is not bad either now that they are up and running good.

11. WD Curry 111 profile image59
    WD Curry 111posted 4 years ago

I am an artist. I'm no help at all for online stuff. The three months that I have been here is the sum total of my web experience outside of research, or doing graphics and the visual design of templates for real web designers.

However, I have a good bit of old school print experience. I did the first ever computer template for a publication at Harris Corporation (1984) when I did the whole corporate news letter, graphics and all, by myself. I worked for Coastal Angler Magazine full time for a season.

I use the Writer's Market book to find magazines or whatever to try to sell to. I was happy writing freelance (called me a contributing editor) for Coastal Angler Magazine until the Florida real estate bubble burst, and I found myself out of work. I would write one article a month, and get $100-$200 at 15cents a word. I had to write to fill a space, which was fun. Every once in a while, a glossy fishing magazine would pick up one of my pieces for fifty cents a word. That piqued my interest. I ended up on unemployment, and went after it hard. There is not much work around here right now, especially for someone my age. Greeter at Walmart is taken.

Anyway, I researched at the local library, where the librarians were a great help. It turns out that my 1970's format (majored in journalism for a couple of years) was getting my manuscripts thrown in the trash without another glance. I nailed a couple of articles, but nothing to brag about. Hardly any one even bothers to send a rejection notice, even with a SASE. The mail ain't what it used to be, and some of the stuff I sent out never made it. I found HubPages and bookmarked it. I wish I started when I was on unemployment. I have learned so much, and know where to go from here.

There are a lot of publications that pay 50c-$1/word. If you can get your foot in the door, it grows from there. Competition is fierce, editors have more than enough writers they already like. They don't want manuscripts anymore, only cover letters and "tear sheets" from published articles. That's where HubPages can help. Send link to hubs by email, or better yet in the cover letter. Keep an unpublished hub with an article you want to sell (no ads). However, not many editors take HP seriously, yet. The garbage on the forums is a turn off for them. From what I get, they think it is rinky dink. They would rather see you on Sun Magazine or someting like that. I will be setting up my own website soon, thanks to all I have learned here.

I guess I am rambling, but I hope the best for you, and want to remind you that the internet does't pay as well as print, unless you are first string in the big leagues. Good luck, and God bless you.

12. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 4 years ago

Have you joined Linkedln-It is designed specifically for professional networking, to help find a job, and discover sales leads. It is a social network just for this---make sure your resume' is up to date, and you have a great photo for your pofile, because you are promoting yourself, experience, and a professional appearance. It will not hurt to try. Join Twitter if you haven't already, and make your profile professional--and state what you want to offer an article writing service.
    Good Luck,