jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)

I can't find a job

1. janesix profile image72
    janesixposted 4 years ago

This is only a rant.

I can't find a job, even a crappy one.

I live in a small town,and I have a crappy work history(I quit a lot, don't put up with crap from anyone etc). It's the middle of winter. I suck at interviews. I'm not a people person. I'm sure plenty of people in town know about my mental health issues,as I've been to the emergency room plenty of times, for anxiety attacks and psychotic episodes.

I can't just move to a bigger town, I don't have the resources to move. I live off my parents,and my ex boyfriend helps me out too. I tried to get ssi, but wasn't able to.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Someone slap me and tell me to quit being such a baby!

1. pylos26 profile image76
      pylos26posted 4 years ago in reply to this

look at "crap" as an inspiration. it'l be fun.

2. lorabelle_reboya profile image70
      lorabelle_reboyaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Find your own business if u cant find a company, while waiting make your business work on yourself and interests.go to some blog forum like this or watch youtube

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Start your own business.

1. janesix profile image72
        janesixposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ive been thinking about that. Selling my paintings maybe on ebay or something.

2. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

Slap............ don't be such a baby!!!!!!!

Do you know how many people on here and other sites earn hundreds and thousands of dollars every month (neither do I but there are a few!)

So get off your couch, stop watching soaps and reality TV and start treating this like a 9 to 5 job (or 11am till 4am like the rest of us) and you will make some real money!! Plus the only boss you have to treat you bad is you!!!

3. EyesStraightAhead profile image90
    EyesStraightAheadposted 4 years ago

I am a firm believer that every life has a purpose. You seem very self-aware in that you just listed several faults without us asking. Now take those faults and make them strengths. You acknowledge you have a bad work history because you quit often. Is there a problem with you having an unfulfilled passion? Is there anything you haven't quit? If so, try finding a way to make money doing what you love. In these times, people look for a bargain. I know it is harder to implement than to advise, but I believe everyone possesses the ability to succeed. You just have to find your passion and tap into it, have faith you will prevail, and go for gold! Good luck.

4. 70
    logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago

Where I work, we can't find enough people to hire.  At least ones that can pass a drug test that is.

5. Nathaniel Wright profile image61
    Nathaniel Wrightposted 4 years ago

Ever thought about internet marketing? Lots of fun too.

6. timmathisen profile image90
    timmathisenposted 4 years ago

Focus on what you can fix.

Example 1: "I suck at interviews."

So practice interviewing with your parents, friends, neighbors, etc. Do it until you can say, "I'm a great interviewer."

Example 2: "I live in a small town,and I have a crappy work history(I quit a lot, don't put up with crap from anyone etc)."

Make an effort to do volunteer work, be accessible, help others, all of which could help gain people skills and provide you with a solid reference that will attest to your work ethic.

1. 60
      adamwebb1991posted 4 years ago

if you know how to work with elementary programs and the Internet, you can try to find work online - freelance.

2. T. R. Brown profile image81
      T. R. Brownposted 4 years ago

You can start this immediately.  Go to garage sales this weekend and find a few interesting things to sell on EBay.  Start selling and do more of it.  This won’t get you rich, but it can provide you with a reasonable income.

3. GinnyLee profile image94
      GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago

I think the Secret Service may be hiring now...  ;-)

4. janesix profile image72
      janesixposted 4 years ago

Update: i did find a job, housekeeping. I coud only deal with it for a few weeks

I suck

1. Shanna11 profile image91
        Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah... I don't think the problem is you finding a job-- I think it's your pride that gets in the way. I mean no offence, but honestly, if you REALLY want a job and want to stop relying on your parents, you're going to have to put up with people's crap. I hate it as well-- I worked as a dishwasher and before that, as a cashier in the middle of Detroit. Both jobs were the epitome of crappiness, but I sucked it up, put on my big girl pants and got over it.

Sometimes you just have to play the game and start low on the ladder of work. A professor of mine once told me "For every problem under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none. If there is one, hurry and find it. If there is none, never mind it."

Clearly the solution requires an attitude adjustment on your part-- and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Things are SO much more bearable if you just find it in yourself to have a positive outlook and attitude. If it weren't for my obnoxious optimism, I would have snapped long ago and you'd be reading about the "Utah Dishroom Massacre" in the news. And mind you, I'm not a people person either. I'm really quite lazy and grouchy. But I excel at interviews because I come in smiling and open, and I've developed a certain charm that I utilize during interviews. Practice it, and it's unfailing.

5. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

If you cannot hold down a job, no matter how menial, for any length of time, you cannot complain that people do not want to employ you. Either suck it up and last the course, or find a way to earn money without relying on an employer.

Neither option is an easy one.

6. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I see that your OP is 2 months old. Your mood and state of mind have no doubt changed in that time. Your OP probably isn't even applicable anymore. Hang in there! smile smile smile

@everyone else,

This thread is obsolete and should die unless janesix says otherwise.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Hey, Janesix - based on your most recent post here, it looks like maybe you're looking still (or again)?  It also looks like you're possibly, and understandably bummed out over it.

There are a ton of hubs on this site about interviewing and finding employment; maybe reading a few would help raise your spirits.  Also, if you find a job that's not quite what you want longterm, look at it as a 'just for now' thing - you don't have to clean houses, wait tables or whatever for the rest of your life, but it can be a way to survive while you get your bigger goals in shape.  Find an employment/career coach (maybe your workforce agency has them) and see if they can offer ideas.  Apply for scholarships and grants and learn a new trade, maybe.

Good luck - don't let things get you down.

8. ThunderKeys profile image84
      ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear that you are not doing well in the job department. It can be so debilitating.

As a professional counselor, I'd like to suggest you read the book: "What Color is My Parachute" by Rick Bolles the worlds best employment counselor:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxrhyo2MlWo

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN_kPI16LEk

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBYTFFYsCE

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru_u_Z9irBo

The book:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-P … ewpoints=1