jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Which do you think is better on a resume, being employed by someone or being sel

1. SonQuioey10 profile image84
    SonQuioey10posted 4 years ago

I mean, for your professional reputation. Which looks better to you and why.

1. Lions Den Media profile image60
      Lions Den Mediaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Being self employed is always a negative at least in my experience. I've always been self employed and anytime I've tried to switch I never get the job. Some of it is because of an independence factor. Employers fear, at least in some industries, that you will leave with their clients. It also shows independence and so many companies these days are looking for "team" players, which I read as yes men/women.

So if you want the job, make certain you are working for someone that can be varified.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

In these circumstances, when someone claims they are free-lance or otherwise self-employed, the potential employer usually assumes that they are a liar.

So, if you are going to put that on your resume, also include the phrase: "(copies of tax returns and/or 1099's available upon request)", or some such.

Just my spontaneous thoughts on the matter. smile

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, paradigmsearch is correct. To many potential employers "self-employeed" is a red flag.  I have looked at many, many resumes over the years and if you are going to say you are/were "self-employeed" always include something to substantiate it.  Even the self-employeed are employeed by someone i.e., customers or clients.  Provide references and/or a portfolio.

3. SonQuioey10 profile image84
    SonQuioey10posted 4 years ago

Thanks for answering, although I thought I discarded this forum. Again, thanks for answering, your answers says a lot.

It shows how less one is self-employed. One is, in actuality, employed by someone even under that title. So the merit that could come with self-employment would likely be embodied by a business owner.

4. aware profile image71
    awareposted 4 years ago

piece worker.   never  got a job with a app.  always in person.   i miss that.

SonQuioey10posted 4 years ago in reply to this

So, what are saying?

Being self-employed is a negative?  Is it better to say you're employed and elaborate on the 1099 decision by the company?

5. aware profile image71
    awareposted 4 years ago

im saying  it was better when   looking for work and hiring was   more personal.   not go online and  piles of padded resumes. its like calling and getting a recording. when you want to talk to a person. im in construction  all my life.    A or B ? i digressed  and answered C. my bad.

6. aware profile image71
    awareposted 4 years ago

vouching for yourself isnt what  employers want

Sounds like, with a place like Hubpages, you are just employed. There isn't a such thing as being self-employed. Or it should seem so.

7. Rhonda_M profile image88
    Rhonda_Mposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on who your reader is and what your situation is. In some fields such as writing, self-employment is a given. Be sure to back up your claim with clips and portfolio. Self employment can help you gain new skills and demonstrate activity if you have a gap in "real" employment. But how many jobs last forever these days? None! I think we need to have combinations of employment and self-employment.

Now there's different categories: If you are a business owner with employees, that's different than if you are a business of 1 who does everything (essentially you own the job). I think when approaching any potential employer, you need to demonstrate accomplishments (did you have to market, make sales, deal with clients...aren't those transferable skills ?) Did you make lots of revenue? That might be a value-add to an employer.

I have run into the perception problem. I had been a freelance writer and did eventually did go into teaching. I had one employer assume when evaluating my experience that as a writer I really sat around and drank coffee all day and evaluated my 8 years as four years of experience (infuriating...as I explained about marketing, satisfying clients, going to meetings, editing, revising, etc). I had others who found my independence and self direction a bit daunting. I guess if you were to apply to an employer , emphasize that you are also a team player, can take direction, and be self directed depending on what's needed. Perhaps you could even downplay the self employment at the moment and play up the strengths and experience that that particular person needs. Having been self employed makes you extremely versatile.

8. BizVT34 profile image83
    BizVT34posted 4 years ago

No smart employer would higher a successful self-employed person and no successful self-employed person should be looking for a job. Often we sell businesses to bigger companies and the business owner thinks they want to become an employee of BigCo. What we tell them is "Generally speaking former business owners make crappy employees."

I had a feeling that was true. People who are self-employed are usually all to concerned with their way of doing things.

So I have everyone, so far, that says putting any self-employed history on your resume, is a bad idea.