jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Too may Lawyers

1. Don Crowson profile image77
    Don Crowsonposted 4 years ago

CBS Evening News had a segment that told about lawyers serving pizza.  There are too many and it is doubtful that those in law school will find employment.  I've always thought we've had too many lawyers.

1. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

the answer is 7...

Any more than 7 lawyers in a given country at a given point in time is way too much.

Personally, I wouldnt want a lawyer touching my food either.... wouldn;t want any sleeze on my cheese

2. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know of one attorney who was selling appliances at Sears (along with his Ph.D.  and biomedical engineer/software designer associates there).  hmm  The economy hasn't helped people in any number of professions, so I don't imagine that's helped the situation much (even the too-many-lawyers problem isn't rooted solely in the economy).  The pizza cooks are lucky they got the job instead of being told they're over-qualified and won't be happy making pizza.  hmm

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I guess if you burn your tongue on hot mozzarella you won't have to look far for representation.

3. Don Crowson profile image77
    Don Crowsonposted 4 years ago

Bet you're right.

4. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I'm majoring in political science and economics... and I had the plan to go to law school and major in International Law or something similar and work in the Gov't... this is disheartening.

1. Don Crowson profile image77
      Don Crowsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it is due to all of the lawyers who have become wealthy.. It has been a great career field until recently.  BTW, cream rises to the top because it is cream.  Stroive to be the best in your field.  Keep in mind that there are opportunities for political scientist and economists.  You can always teach in those fields, and there are government and corporate positions available.  I think you are prepared in good fields.  Good luck

2. Lions Den Media profile image59
      Lions Den Mediaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are private companies that need international lawyers. I don't get the rationale for wanting to go into the government sector. The thing with law is that if you attend the "right" school...you can write your own ticket. Besides you can always teach. I wouldn't worry about the CBS report.

5. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 4 years ago

Now there are too many Pizza cooks!

6. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

This is why I think salary levels need to play in to all the job loss/reclamation statistics being bandied about lately. E.g. if ten lawyers losing their jobs counted as a "recession" I don't think ten new pizza delivery jobs should be considered full economic recovery.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That kind of came out like a really boring lawyer joke. "What do you call ten lawyers who lose their jobs?" "A recession!" *crickets*

2. SilentReed profile image89
      SilentReedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too many lawyers? Yes, in my country. It's better to have ten lawyers delivering pizzas rather than they deciding to enter politics.

7. BizVT34 profile image84
    BizVT34posted 4 years ago

This one is too easy....you know the line "The only good thing about Communism is they shoot the lawyers first."

working