jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Smoking Habits

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago

Do you think it legally right and proper for any Human Resources Manager holding job interviews to hire a new employee, to inquire about a candidate's smoking habits, and is it right for them to refuse you employment because you are a smoker?

1. hhatraining profile image61
      hhatrainingposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Legally this sounds like discrimination. I could see there being an exception of the company currently employs someone allergic to smoke.

But fair and unfair aside, smokers are becoming second class citizens and there isn't much to be done about it.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would agree. It would be interesting to see if the employer has a legal right to discriminate in such a manner or not.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I actually don't think this is discrimination *waits for gasps*

A company should not have to hire any employee with any substance abuse issues.

2. wilmiers77 profile image61
      wilmiers77posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe that the only matter the employer should be concerned about is whether the applicant can do the job. Employees are usually on a 90 day trail; that's enough time to evaluate how dependable the employee is.

1. racksjackson profile image59
        racksjacksonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I am also agree with your point. employer is selected  on behalf of interview performance (knowledge ) and nothing else. If candidate record is good , smoking is not big issue for company.

3. glmclendon profile image60
      glmclendonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it is right, but they say it lowers their insurance rate. They won't hire you but there so many other things that are worst.

Stay Well

4. Jonathan Janco profile image82
      Jonathan Jancoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hopefully that's not what it will take for me to quit. Trying, and it gets more and more trying everyday.

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on the job. If I was hiring someone to work face to face with the public I would not be hiring someone who was a smoker for a number of reasons. If you were working in the back of a warehouse stocking and unloading trucks, I could careless if my employee was a smoker. It's all about details.

Also I'm not sure how it could be discrimination. Being a smoker is not your ethnicity, religious preference or gender...it's an activity you par take in.

3. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

No and no.

EDIT... and no, I do not smoke.