jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Beef processor files for bankruptcy over 'pink slime' uproar

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Reuters) - Ground beef processor AFA Foods filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday and said it plans to sell some or all of its assets, citing the impact of media coverage related to a meat filler critics have dubbed "pink slime.
    The company sells its retail products, which include frozen hamburgers, ready ground beef and beef skillet mix, under the brand names "Moran's" and "Miller Quality Meats."
    http://news.yahoo.com/beef-processor-fi … 22703.html
    I  dont know if this is a good thing that happened or not.
    Making what they believed was a good product,with the FDA's blessings, comes with a harsh reality of life when the public turns against them

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seems odd that they'd need to go bankrupt in a matter of weeks.

For those who have been eating it anyway and don't care about ammonia added to their food, too bad. I guess now they'll have to eat pure meat. On the other hand, I'm happy to have had it disclosed. It's just one more thing I can eliminate from the already long list of bastardized, adulterated, non-foods I already don't eat.

Not that I ate that much ground beef anyway, but disclosure is a good thing. It makes me wonder, if all the byproducts in this 'highly refined processed beef' are actually from the animal, why do they need to ammoniate it?

1. Eric Newland profile image59
        Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, true, that. I seriously doubt the pink slime scandal was their only problem. More likely the straw that broke the camel's back, or, for all anyone knows, they ran out of money for a completely unrelated reason and just used the slime as a scapegoat.

Maybe they should switch to using positively charged slime, like in Ghostbusters II.

2. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

So it won't hurt you, but it's gross when you think about it? Sounds like a really awesome reason for America to lose a few more jobs.

3. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

The fact that US regulations allowed the ammonia is wrong. It is great for the American consumer to be informed and even better yet send a strong message that lies will be found out and then the consumer will most assuredly turn on you.

I don't understand why WalMart didn't take a more proactive stand and demand disclosure.

Leaving items for the legislation is wrong. WalMart has lost, possibly forever, all of my meat purchases including fish. I can understand the manufacturer, I cannot swallow the "processing ingredient" exclusion and I cannot support WalMart's meat department when they did not respond with a strong demand for full disclosure.