jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

The Correlation Between Corporate Politics and Career Success

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Today, it is not enough to be a stellar employee.  It is also important for an employee to be aware of the respective corporate culture he/she is in.   It seems that playing corporate politics is more important to career success than technical work performance. Do you agree with this premise?

1. Elly`Snow profile image60
      Elly`Snowposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes I agree with this premise, it seems to be more important to fit into a culture that a workplace has going then it is about how you do your job. As long as a person adheres to the ‘unspoken rules’ of that culture then they fit in and all is well, but if you don’t fit into it and aren’t willing to submit to it then your going to have problems.
      Personally I’ve experienced this time and time again so anytime I’m in a new work environment I begin wondering what I’m in for!

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

I agree.
    I don't think it's anything new, though.
    Organizations always have distinct cultures.
    You may have great technical skills but if you can't assimilate into the culture you will sink.
    Playing the game is more than 50% of the job!

Good thing I reread your post. I thought you said "restrictive corporate culture" but you actually said "respective."
    Yup. HP is not Apple is not IBM. They are all very different and to fit in one place is no gurantee you'll do well at the shop down the street!

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is so true.   Many people fail to realize this.  To them, everything is peaches and cream.  They portend that if they perform their work well, everything will run smoothly.  Well, this is not reality.  Corporations are run by people, not automatons.   People have their idiosyncracies and those people are our bosses.   Well, this the the true nitty gritty of the work world.  Welcome to Life 201!  Success does not necessary depends upon the technically smartest but those who are the most cunning and hungry!