Heterogeneous Society:Definition and Advantanges
What is a heterogeneous society?
According to Oxford dictionary learner’s dictionary, the meaning of heterogeneous is something that is consisting of many kinds of things-let that something be different types of things or people. So, by the phrase “heterogeneous society” we mean such a society which consists of different kinds of people from various reason of the world-which is basically a society that is ethnically heterogeneous.
Inside an ethnically heterogeneous society there might further heterogeneity in terms of faith or belief system. For example, India is heterogeneous society in terms of religious system because there are Indians who are following various major world religions.
Example of heterogeneous society
United States of American is one of the greatest examples of heterogeneous society. There are Americans who belong ethnically to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indians, English, Spanish, Africans, and French etc. furthermore; there might be Christian Spanish American, Buddhist Spanish American etc.
Advantages of heterogeneous society
- If you live in heterogeneous society you have a unique experience of learning about different cultures
- You become more tolerant to the people of the world. When you visit a new country which has many people living in your society, you do not feel like an alien in that new county.
- You have the option to pick the best manners and attitude from the world society. Every society is unique in some way. For example, South Asian people respect the elderly people very much in comparison to the people of the rest of the world, while the western people let their children to live in a separate house or location when they grow up, which is also a good practice to help the children to take the responsibilities of their life.
- Fusion music and culture can thrive in a heterogeneous society more easily than a homogeneous society.
Facts about heterogeneous society
In every heterogeneous society there is a minority group, who are the least in numbers to represent a specific group of people. According to Malcolm Gladwell, when there is an employment problem in a specific country, normally, the majority group of people blames the minority group for the crisis.
There can be a racial tension among the majority and the minority group of people because of any unwanted events. The racial division between the blacks and the whites were a major problem in America, which caused African American Civil right movements from 1955 to 1968.
Disadvantage of homogeneous society
- The minority group may feel that they are being discriminated which may not always be true.
- A portion of the majority group may think that their culture and languages are being polluted by the foreign culture.
- Please do not hesitate to give your feedback about the advantages and disadvantages of a heterogeneous society.
Do you prefer to live in a heterogeneous society?See results without voting
More by this Author
The frequency of consumer sales promotion is the key to running your yearly promotional campaign.
Implementation of a business plan is done as to the main business objectives, which includes the kind of process and procedures you need to follow in order to achieve your goal in a specified period of time.This plan is...
- 21Data Communication and Networking Basics Tutorial -A Beginner's Guide to Network-Tele-commmunications Engineering FAQs
Data communications mainly involves generating and interpreting both digital and analog signals. Data communications FAQs covers signals, systems, modems, transmitters,receivers, routers,modems,LAN, WAN, satellites etc.