How Can I Make Money and Sell Things on Craigslist?
Can You Make Money on Craigslist? Sure You Can!
Recently a reader asked me "How can I make money on Craigslist?" He was looking for some additional income and was wondering if some of his woodworking skills could bring him in some extra bucks. In response to his question I'd like to offer up some advice, ideas and some different ways on how to make money using Craigslist.
First of all, let me tell you a little about my Craigslist experiences. I have been an avid Craigslister for about 5 plus years now, and have had LOTS of success at selling everything from my dads old World War 2 Ham equipment to backyard plants that I grew specifically for selling. Being a born "entrepreneur", I think it's always been in my blood to look for creative ways to make money. I not only ran successful businesses but have also made money here at HubPages as a freelance writer. I love to figure out what sells, what doesn't and I love to analyze peoples spending habits - what do people need and why? (I've also been in marketing and sales for many years)
So what about making money on Craigslist? Craigslist is an extremely interesting medium for selling things. Interesting because it involves online interaction with a little different approach to selling items.
Wanna Work for Money? Try Craigslist!
What Kind of Things Can You Sell on Craigslist?
So let's start with my readers question about selling his woodworking skills on Craigslist. He wants to know if he could sell things like bird houses. Interesting question and this is what I would look at first and the questions I would ask myself:
1. Are my bird houses unusual? Are they different from something I could pick up at any store? If you have a unique item, yes, you could probably sell them on Craigslist
2. Is there a market for birdhouses where I live? Are you trying to sell birdhouses in Alaska or in a community where there are lots of bIrd lovers and people that would buy birdhouses?
3. Am I going to be able to cover my costs to actually make a profit doing this? If making the bIrd house costs you $5.00 and you are only selling it for $10, is it worth the time and effort you are going to put into the making the birdhouse?
Just some food for thought. When thinking about selling things to make money on Craigslist you need to consider your market and your pricing, cost of goods and time involved.
Be Creative on Craigslist
My advice on how to make money on Craigslist is to figure out what you do well, what skills you have and what market you are in. Here are some ideas for things you can sell on Craigslist:
1. Used items that you already have. Look around you. Figure out what you don't want anymore or really don't need and post it on Craigslist for sale, To get an idea of what to charge look at some other listings to see approximate prices for similar items that are already posted on Craigslist.
2. Besides used items, maybe you already have a business. Think about doing some advertising with Craigslist. Maybe you could offer your landscaping services or plumbing services with a Craigslist ad. Yellow Pages ads are expensive and don't always target your local market. Try marketing to your area and see what happens. You'll save money advertising and also pick up more jobs right in your own neighborhood.
3. Try some creative bartering. There are lots of people on Craigslist that need things done. Maybe you need a new lawn and someone on there needs some car repair. If you are a mechanic hook up with a landscaper who can plant your lawn while you fix his car! Bartering is one of the oldest forms of direct selling to one another - MINUS the dreaded "T" word. Just don't tell Uncle Sam know I told you that!
4. Are you creative like our birdhouse maker? People like creative things. Even in a bad economy people still love and want to buy handmade, unique items. There will always be a market for things that are out of the norm. If you make unique jewelry, grow unique orchids, make awesome doghouses or build unique childrens furniture them yes - by all means try selling them on Craigslist! Maybe Craigslist will launch you into a whole new business and you wlll build up a clientele and establish a following!
You Can Make Money on Craigslist!
This really is just the tip of the iceberg on how to answer the question - How can I make money on Craigslist? There are really just SO many things that people are buying and selling on Craisglist everyday. To start off I would spend an hour or two just browsing Craigslist. Look through the ads, see what people are buying and selling. See what prices they are asking for. See what types of things are popular.
And remember, there are some things that people must absolutely have everyday: Food, water,shelter and clothing. Maybe you are a good seamstress who makes beautiful clothes? A great gardener who has extra tomato plants to sell? An out of work caterer who makes wonderful food and does great parties? Maybe you have a spare room you would like to rent out? The list is endless. First look at your strengths, what you have to offer, do your research and plunge forward. You can make money on Craigslist. You just need to do your homework, be creative and price your items accordingly. Good luck Craigslisting and let me know how things go!
For more of my advice and tips about Craigslisting check out some of my other hubs about Craigslist here:
(Dorsi Diaz is a freelance writer/publisher and artist who writes about frugal living, helpful tips,small business and Craigslist)
More by this Author
A writers true story about her border collie dog getting hit by a car. Useful list of signs and symptoms of shock in a dog. Comments welcome.
Recently I have had the unenviable task of closing our business after 14 years. In addition to not only the physical work involved in closing a business - has been a far more unthought of aspect of closing the business...
If you hit your head hard and are now feeling foggy, having head pain, or having trouble remembering, you may have a concussion. Check these symptoms and see if you need to go to the doctor.