HOW TO START A BARBING SALON AND IMPROVE YOUR BARBING SALON AS AN AFRICAN
The natural call of looking good for men is a very serious business for both young and old Africans. This creates a huge platform for barbers(African male hair stylists) to thrive in business. This also has led to a continuous influx of barbers into the African society, and of lately male hair salons are really increasing in numbers with little or no experience, little consumer satisfaction and harsh conditions. In this article I am going to analyze some basic steps in which you need to start up a unique barbing saloon with improved customer satisfaction and increased profits because "Quality products attracts a large consumer base".
1. Get an easily accessible shop in well organized and moderately populated environment: This goes a long way and it really affects the way people patronize your services. If you have an accessible shop probably with a good parking space, quality access point and also in an environment in which people will feel safe and secured; it will be easy for someone to access your saloon and feel secure without much disturbance and insecurity. (Target: shopping complexes and good business district areas).
2. Interior and exterior planning and decoration:
Ø Good painting
Ø Moderate and comfortable furniture,
Ø Good electronic gadgets like TVs’, Sound systems, etc.
Ø Try to paste lovely posters that pass cheerful messages( note: it is always nice to change old posters on time),
Ø Use lovely carpets, rugs or tiles to general taste,
Ø Always ensure you have recent newspapers, magazines, catalogues and other informational materials (if possible get a nice small notice board in which you can paste useful information) and also minimal decoration.
All these create a comfortable atmosphere and increase convenience for your customers
3. Good equipments and the backup principle : To have a very good saloon you ensure you have the necessary barbing and styling equipments and the appropriate gadgets, for example a good set of combs, good clippers with efficient blades and the cutting steps, scissors , a comfortable barbing chair, a very good sterilizing unit, necessary hair treatment materials etc. Always ensure you have the right instruments for a wide variety of hair styles and prominent styles in fashion, because you may lose dozens of customers to fashion if you are not working with modern and updated equipments. Also good electric power source is needed as some countries in Africa do not have regular power supply. The backup principle is very important due to malfunctioning of equipments or wearing out of some part of the equipment at odd times, you must always have a spare for each of your gadgets because of efficient time management of your customer and yourself also, we all know how one can earn a bad reputation for delaying your customer due to the malfunction of an essential equipment.
4. Good character and good customer relation : The way you relate with your customers will either attract them or repel them, so endeavor to be at the best appreciable character always i.e. little or no pride, very good anger management and usage of inoffensive language. The barber should tend to have a good rapour with his customers by studying the customers psyche and bringing up healthy discussions and imbibe an atmosphere where the customer can really feel relaxed. Questions like how's has your day been? what kind of style do you like? do you enjoy our services? and other topics of healthy discussion should be imbibed, you should try to have a good sense of humor (you don’t have to be a clown or a standup comedian),souvenirs and other little gifts can put a smile on your customers faces.
5. Working skills and development: If you have the best equipments, good character and the most enchanting environment with poor barbing skills and techniques, it won’t take time before you crash out of business. So ensure you are good at what you do before embarking on opening a barbing saloon and if you are not very good try to get a good partner while you improve on your techniques. Developing your skills and updating them to meet the demands of new styles is essential.
6. Hygiene and general cleanliness : Cleanliness and hygiene is another factor overlooked, please ensure you have a handy cleaner or try to clean up your shop every time you finish barbing or at relative intervals and sterilize your equipments with the right sterilizing unit, never try to compromise your standard techniques for something lower, for example some barbers in West Africa use fire from a lighter to burn the blade of their clipper instead of using a sterilizing unit, so keep your hygiene standards up and classy and you will have your business booming in no time.
7. Moderation is a unique virtue that is needed in the every business and the salon business is not left out, so therefore be the best with the easiest available means and with good quality. Always employ moderation in your daily activities in the saloon.
WISH YOU GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ALL ENDEAVOUR AND AS YOU OPEN YOUR DREAM SALOON WHEREVER , I HOPE YOU FIND THIS ESSENTIAL TIPS INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL.