Motivation for Writers on HubPages
It takes all types of writers to create the writing milieu we know as HubPages (HP). You signed up because something about HP appealed to you, and you expected a satisfying experience.
The more you write, the better you understand the level of commitment it takes to bring about your happiness and success. It is better to focus on that commitment when other negative circumstances threaten to discourage you.
Commitment may have different meanings for different types of people but no matter how you understand it, it is your individual attitude, your individual effort, your individual compliance and reactions that will determine your results. Here are five commitment questions to consider. They aim to offer motivation for you to hold on to the controls, and push the right buttons to maximize your writing experience.
(1) How did you decide on your reason for writing?
Whether or not you wrote your reason in your profile, it is important that you know and believe that you have a valid reason for writing. Having a reason is the reason you push ahead. If you know your destination, chances are you will not stop until you get there. Commitment means that when you face challenges like a drop in reader traffic, a notice of poor quality writing, or a writer’s score that does not make sense, you focus on your purpose and continue to pursue it.
How serious are you when you decide to write based on reasons like the following?
- Been writing since I was three; writing is my special gift.
- Always scored 100% in Grammar; good writing comes naturally.
- My messages, or styles (or both) are unique; I feel obligated to share them.
- God told me to write; that is my life’s purpose.
None of these reasons make provision for quitting if the circumstances are not comfortable. So, re-examine your reason, re-word it if you like, and persevere.
Learning Center Advice
- How to Build a Strong Online Brand
As you publish more Hubs on HubPages, you will build a stronger online presence. Here's how to take that presence to the next level by building an online brand as well!
- Accolades and Special Recognition
An overview of HubPages' Accolades, which are awarded to Hubbers who reach milestones, successfully engage with readers and the community, and win community competitions.
(2) What would it mean to you to have your article featured as Hub of the Day?
Do you prefer an opinion that your article is outstanding, or that you satisfy your readers? Depending on your reason for writing, you have some choices to make.
If your readers are committed to reading what you write, you may want to focus on writing for them; which may not necessarily comply with the stellar quality article of so many words, so many pictures, a table or a poll. The topic you choose may not even lend itself to the stellar hub format. Following your own style is advisable, as long as there are no site violations.
On the other hand, if your preference is the recognition of writing the Hub of the Day, it is advisable to stick to the regulations of the stellar hub. Here are some facts to remember, whether or not your article wins the featured hub accolade:
- The Hub of the Day is not the only good hub written that day; only one could be chosen.
- Some non-accolade articles generate more reads than some Hubs of the Day.
- Congratulating a Hub of the Day is more empowering than criticizing or complaining.
- There are many happy, successful hubbers who have not written a Hub of the Day in years.
Compete with yourself. Commitment means that you will making the effort to improve with every article you write. The bonus may be a Hub of the Day or some other personal achievement that makes a real difference for you.
(3) Which of the other accolades have personal significance for you?
Different types of people are attracted to different types of recognition. If certain accolades become significant to you, setting personal goals to obtain them can help keep you motivated and on track. Do you want to see an increase in the number of hubs published? In the number of reads? In the number of followers? Keep writing, while thinking how best to get where you want to go.
Not all writers are interested in the accolades to the same degree. Some have other personal goals which are not immediately reflected by any HP accolades. Here are some examples.
- Connecting with certain types of writers
- Giving and receiving emotional support
- Recording research for future use
- Presenting expertise on certain areas of study
The impact of these types of articles may have great influence on readers and other writers. By the way, a comment expressing gratitude is one of the most meaningful accolades.
- Links: Writing Sites
Online community services for readers and writers including links for potential writers.
(4) Compared with other writing sites, how well does HP meet your needs?
Different types of people choose different ways to pursue their writing goals. Writing on line is obviously a wise choice. Some writers prefer HP because they consider HP more professional and writer-friendly; some commend the guidance of the HP team and the selfless support of some HP community members.
Some prefer other sites with less rules, more tolerance and opportunity for faster money. There may be other features you have not even considered, and it is wise to satisfy your curiosity concerning other possibilities that exist. The meaning of commitment is that you explore till you find the best tools to advance your purpose.
- Have you explored any other site?
- What site feature is the most important to you?
- Which of your needs as a writer is being (or not being) fulfilled on HP?
- Have you figured out how to maximize the support that HP offers?
What is Your Level of Commitment?
Right now, what is your level of commitment to your writing goal?See results without voting
(5) How committed are you to your reason for writing?
We conclude with another side of the same question with which we started. You know that you are a writer; and you know why. Your commitment to the why will motivate the how, what, where and when. So with your purpose in mind, consider the following:
- Does your reason motivate you to persevere as a writer?
- Does your reason inspire you to learn all you can about succeeding on the writing site you choose?
- Does your reason prevent you from being frustrated by annoying circumstances?
- Does your reason conjure up an image of what achievement looks like?
From one committed writer to another, let me remind you of the meaning of commitment: to be determined to achieve what we set out to do; to pursue our goal to completion; to deny any attempt to distract us from our purpose. Looking forward to celebrating with you!
© 2013 Dora Isaac Weithers
More by this Author
Christmas comes with joy already built in. No personal spending is required to embrace the Christmas spirit and spread cheer. Here are six activities to enhance Christmas joy with no extra money.
Thanks to HubPages Founders and Followers on the celebration of my first 10,000 views. This article expresses gratitude for the founders and followers and for helpful lessons learned along the way.
People and situations in the workplace threaten our equilibrium and help create stress. These selected quotes will help to reduce stress and renew our minds to peace, purpose and productivity.