Motivation for Writers on HubPages
It takes all types of writers to create the writing milieu we know as HubPages (HP). You signed up because you expected a successful writing experience.
The more you write, the better you understand the level of commitment it takes to bring about your success. It is better to focus on that commitment when other negative circumstances threaten to discourage you.
Commitment may have different meanings for different people but no matter how you understand it, it is your individual attitude, your individual effort, your individual compliance and reactions that will determine your results.
Here are five commitment questions to consider. They aim to motivate your stick-to-it-ability, and to push the right buttons to maximize your writing experience.
(1) What is your purpose for writing?
Whether or not you wrote your purpose for writing in your profile, it is important that you know it. Knowing your purpose is the reason you push ahead. If you know your destination, chances are you will not stop until you get there.
Commitment to your purpose means that when you face challenges like a drop in reader traffic, an article being un-featured, or a writer’s score that does not make sense, you focus on your purpose and continue to write.
How serious were you when you decided to write based on reasons like the following?
- Been writing since I was three; writing is my special gift.
- Always scored 100% in Grammar; good writing comes naturally.
- My messages, or styles (or both) are unique; I feel obligated to share them.
None of these reasons make provision for quitting if the circumstances are not comfortable. So, re-examine your purpose, re-word it if you like, and persevere.
(2) How important is recognition to you?
Do you get discouraged if your article is not selected for a niche site? Are you writing for the satisfaction of your readers or for recognition from the HP team? Depending on your reason for writing, you have some choices to make.
If you appreciate the readers who are committed to following you, you may want to focus on writing for them. Your article may not always comply with the stellar quality article of more than 700 -1150 words, 3 pictures, a table or a poll. The topic you choose may not even lend itself to the stellar hub format. Following your own style is advisable, as long as there are no site violations.
On the other hand, if your preference is recognition, it is advisable to stick to the regulations of the stellar hub. Here are some facts to remember:
- Not all good quality articles are selected for niche sites. Your topic may closely resemble one that was previously selected. That does not mean that your followers will not read yours.
- Some non-accolade articles generate more reads than some on the niche site.
- Congratulating another hubber whose article is selected is more empowering than criticizing or complaining.
Compete with yourself. Commitment means that you will making the effort to improve with every article you write. The bonus may be recognition or some other personal achievement that makes a real difference for you.
(3) Which of the accolades are significant to you?
Learning Center Advice
- Accolades and Special Recognition
An overview of HubPages' Accolades, which are awarded to Hubbers who reach milestones, successfully engage with readers and the community, and win community competitions.
Different types of people are attracted to different types of recognition. If certain accolades become significant to you, setting personal goals to obtain them can help keep you motivated and on track. Do you want to see an increase in the number of hubs published? In the number of reads? In the number of followers? Keep writing, while thinking how best to get where you want to go.
Not all writers are interested in the accolades to the same degree. Some have other personal goals which are not directly reflected by HP accolades. Here are some examples.
- Connecting with certain types of writers
- Giving and receiving support - professional or emotional
- Recording research for future use
- Presenting expertise on certain areas of study
These types of articles target other goals besides accolades. By the way, receiving a comment from a reader expressing gratitude is one of the most meaningful accolades.
(4) How well does HP meet your needs?
Writing on line is the preference for many beginning writers. Some prefer HP because they consider HP more professional and writer-friendly; some commend the guidance of the HP team and the selfless support of some HP community members.
Some prefer other sites with less rules, more tolerance and opportunity for faster money. There may be other features you have not even considered, and it is wise to satisfy your curiosity concerning other possibilities that exist. The meaning of commitment is that you explore till you find the best tools to advance your purpose.
- Have you explored any other site?
- What site feature is the most important to you?
- Which of your needs as a writer is being (or not being) fulfilled on HP?
Spend some time reading the HubPages Tutorials and Cummunity articles to help you figure out how to maximize the support that the HP team offers.
(5) How committed are you to your purpose?
Right now, what is your level of commitment to your writing goal?See results without voting
We conclude with another side of the same question with which we started. You know that you are a writer; and you know why. Your commitment to the why will motivate the how, what, where and when. So with your purpose in mind, consider the following:
- Does your purpose motivate you to persevere as a writer?
- Does your purpose inspire you to learn all you can about succeeding on the writing site you choose?
- Does your purpose prevent you from being frustrated by annoying circumstances?
- Does your purpose conjure up an image of what achievement looks like?
From one committed writer to another, let me remind you of the meaning of commitment: to be determined to achieve what we set out to do; to pursue our goal to completion; to deny any attempt to distract us from our purpose. Looking forward to celebrating with you!
© 2013 Dora Isaac Weithers
More by this Author
The following six suggestions are all proven to help a man like a woman’s company and appreciate her worth. They present alternatives to sexual favors as a means of keeping a man interested.
Thanks to HubPages Founders and Followers on the celebration of my first 10,000 views. This article expresses gratitude for the founders and followers and for helpful lessons learned along the way.
Here are six suggestions to help both the youthful and the mature stay strong in the midst of hostile pressure from folks who no longer care about the premise for moral values.