Google Blogger vs Hubpages: which is the best way to make money online?
As someone who uses both HubPages and Google Blogger, I thought it might be interesting and useful to write a comparison of the two writing websites, with particular attention paid to which out of the two is the best way to make money online.
In some ways, it is not an either or situation, at the end of the day, as there is nothing to stop you opening accounts and using both of them, but a comparison is still worth exploring as each site has its relative strengths and weaknesses.
So here is my comparison of two giant writing sites: Google Blogger vs Hubpages: which is the best way to make money online?
Advantages of Hubpages?
- Whereas Google Blogger is but one arm of the Google empire and is in many ways a blog website with an advertising option, HubPages is a business that relies entirely on receiving an income from its users writing articles online. This means that they are specialized, dedicated and focused on enabling people to make money online, as they rely on it for their business to survive.
- You can write about pretty much whatever you want on HubPages and will do okay, whereas Google Blogger really is best for blogs about a particular subject area, if you intend to make money online. Having said that, even HubPages benefits from articles written in associated subject areas and put in interlinked groups. This is because if you use the same keywords in different articles, it has the effect of boosting your overall standing for those keywords, as far as Google is concerned, as your site is seen as having a specialist interest and more likely to be giving correct information.
- Although HubPages take 40% of the income generated by user sites, they make up for that in other ways. They optimize the structure of the website to make sure that the site does well in the Google rankings. They have also introduced their own adverts scheme which has generally had a positive effect on how much money you can make with HubPages with many people finding it to be more lucrative than Google Adsense.
Advantages of Google Blogger?
- Whereas the writer earns 60% of Adsense revenue with HubPages, they earn 100% with Google Blogger. This sounds great, but it is offset to some degree by other factors, such as the HubPages Ads and HubPages onsite SEO (see above).
- The Google site generally does well in ranking on Google searches, especially if some basic SEO ideas are followed, and as it is owned by Google, it seems unlikely that a situation will arise where Google drastically demotes it in regard to Google Search Engine results. This can be contrasted with websites such as Hubpages, which seem vulnerable at times to changes in approach and policy by Google. The recent Google algorithm changes which took away 50% of HubPages’ traffic would appear to demonstrate this.
- If your Blogger page becomes successful, then you have the option of buying your own domain name for it. The blog will still be “powered” by Blogger, but will show up as a dot com or whatever domain name you buy for it. Google make it easy to do this.
Which do you prefer: Google Blogger or HubPages?See results without voting
As I mentioned at the start, both Google Blogger and HubPages both have relative strengths and weaknesses.
In my opinion, HubPages is great for writing one off articles, or small groups of articles on a similar topic, but Google Blogger can be good when you want to write a blog with lots of posts that are focused on one particular topic area (sometimes called a niche blog).
In terms of earnings, there is no doubt that HubPages is more specifically geared towards making money, with Amazon and eBay ads easier to add, and an in-house advertising/earning scheme. Blogger on the other hand is principally aimed at the amateur/non-profit making blogger, although this certainly doesn't mean that you can't use it to make money.
It is also believed by some people that Blogger will always do relatively well as far as search rankings go, given that Google also operate one of the biggest search engines. The thinking goes that Google are unlikely to penalize their own blogging service. HubPages, on the other hand, has gone up and down over the years, as far as search engine rankings.
Always remember, however, that Google Blogger and HubPages are both free services, so you won’t lose any money by using both. Where there is overlapping subject matter, you can interlink your Blogger and HubPages posts to create your own backlinks!
© 2011 Paul Goodman
More by this Author
This article gives the essential arguments for and against gun control laws, listing the main pros and cons that people use in the debate.
I give a summary of all the death penalty pros and cons, and also give an opportunity for readers to give their own views in a poll and comments section.
Need to know how to clear a clogged shower drain? Here are the best 8 methods to try. Unclogging a shower drain yourself can save you money.