Article Spinning And How To Identify Spun Content
Article spinning is very popular these days as many people take a reasonably good article they find somewhere and redo it to make it their own. Hubpages has been very vigilant in getting rid of such rubbish but some always seep through the cracks. Your help is needed to get rid of spun articles on this site so please do your part.
During our quest to weed out these bad influences on our system we must be careful not to flag hubs that do not deserve to be flagged. I am concerned that my previous hub does not explain what a spun article is and might have people flagging hubs they think might be spun. There are many hubbers whose first language is not English and those hubbers' hubs may seem a little hard to read. I implore you to make sure the hubbers' first language is not English before flagging.
Check the hubber's profile to know if the hubber is from a non English speaking country. Check some of that hubber's comments to see their natural way of communicating (comments and forums). In order to do this you can check their hubtivity. I know it's a lot of work, but no one likes their hub flagged, don't do it unless you are sure.
What is Spinning?
I am not going to use any technical terms to define spinning. It it simply re-arranging articles to appear unique or original. If you own the copyright to an article and you rewrite it several times to get five different articles that is not bad at all. However many website and blog owners used to copy content from the web, but the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) would flag these contents and penalize the site. Those owners now found a way to redo the articles that confuse or trick SERP. They copy the content but rearrange the words so that the article reads differently.
There are different ways of spinning an article.
- Using synonyms - this way, certain words are changed several times using similar words. An example. "Drink water to replenish and rehydrate," a spun version would read like this, "Consume|Intake|ingest|have water to refill|fill up and supply|furnish| render." In this one sentence you have ten different sentences. So one article can render dozens of articles when spun. The problem with spinning is that the articles that are spun (1)are generally copied content, (2) very badly spun using bad software. The badly spun article would read something like this, "Refill water ingest to and furnish," which does not make sense.
- Using a software - there are two options; the synonym software and a general spinning software. After you install your spinner, copy your content there and click a button, your article is spun. The synonym finder is slightly different as you get to choose which synonyms to replace.
- Manually spinning the article by using synonyms and rewriting to make sense.
A spinner can refer to the person or the software but usually the software. Persons who spin articles manually call themselves writers.
How to Identify Spun Content on HP
There are articles that are so cleverly spun that it is very hard to detect because they read smoothly and make sense to the reader. The articles we are calling a red alert to are those that are badly spun and easy to detect.
An article that is definitely spun and badly done, is one that has random words that, when read, confuses and confounds the reader making absolutely no sense. These are my own words, but much easier to understand than some technical term or phrases I found somewhere. Below are two versions of the same article. The first one is the original and the second I used a spinner I found online to do the damage to my article.
Here is an excerpt from one of my articles:-
"Use relevant tags for your content. The HP system will generate a number of tags to assist you but not all of them will be relevant. Imagine searching for "Black dogs for pets" in Google and you are brought to an article about a cat that was chased by a black dog. The author may have used the "black dog pet" tag, but the article was not about the black dog for pet. In other words, use your tags wisely and you are on your way to getting search engine friendly."
Here is a badly spun version:-
"Use to the point metal points by reason of your ease. The HP a whole power of determination engender a digit of metal points to befriend you no more than not aggregate of them power of choosing be appropriate. Imagine keen by reason of Shortcoming dogs because of darlings in Google and you're brought to a member end for end a cat that was run after give word toed by a color dog. The original may have used the Color dog fondling metal point, only the clause wasn't hind part before the color dog because of favorite. In other discourse, exercise your metal points wisely and you're on your advance of acquirement pursuit machine amiable."
The online spinner I found did something unidentifiable with my beautifully written article. I hope this helps when looking for spun articles.
A little Addition - Update
Many times these so called articles get bypassed by the system because only the first 1, 1-1/2 or 2 paragraphs are written properly, as in original. Then two things may happen why they are bypassed:-
- The search engines only crawl your first paragraph and pick random keywords or tags from the middle and end of your article.
- Some readers do not read an entire article, they skim through thus missing this kind of rubbish.
It is important to read all of the article once you hit the page, otherwise you may end up voting up one of these articles.
More by this Author
A step-by-step guide on how to make Jamaican pork stew. Best served with traditional rice and peas, and a side salad.
A hub for newbies to try and understand how search engines work and how to make search engines find their content.
The most gorgeous Korean male actors. Can you stand the heat? Here is my list of the hottest Korean actors on the circuits.