I strongly urge you not to just follow others in the hopes they will follow you. It doesn't work that way with hard-working hubbers.
1) Read and comment on hubs that you find interesting. Make sure your comments show that you have really read the hub.
2) If the hub is really interesting, go and look/read the person's profile. If you are still interested in the hubber (because of what they write and how they write) then follow them.
3) Follow those you are interested in. When you click to follow, write something that shows the hubber you have read at least one of their hubs.
4) Go to the Topics section of HubPages. Find some topics you are interested in. Also, find some subtopics you are interested in.
5) Follow this topic or subtopic.
6) When people write hubs on the subjects in this topic or subtopic they will come up in your HubPages stream (where we are now). Then, if you follow the instructions above, you should find a greater number of people following you.
Good Luck and work hard at this. Good followers don't come easily. Respect them.