1. Content- Above all, no fluffy bunny content. You have to have a good reason before you decide to start typing. Something other than making money has to compel you to share the information.
2. Genuine- There is something about the tone of great hubbers around here and great writers elsewhere... They truly believe in what they write. Right or wrong, truth or false it doesn't really matter. They are convinced in what they write about. Really awesome hubbers are just downright factual, I am yet to get there.
3. Links- This is one of my weakest "links". It is important to not only direct your audience towards Hubpages in the first place but to links that truly sustain and further complement one's article.
4. Title- This one I learned the hard way. As your title creates the link and significantly directs search engines after confirmed relevant data, the title cannot be overstated. Choose your title carefully and not only make sure it relates to your article but it appeals to your reader's attention span, mine is pretty short btw ;-)
5. Connect- Is all about community... A lot of solitude out there... In the end, is just people wanting to relate with one another. Strive to be a part of the community, visit other hubs, they will gladly return the favor and hub on over!
Thanks for the chance of clarifying my mind on this matter! :D