I am a writer who often puts the scientific name in italics enclosed in brackets after the name of a species of flower or animal I have been writing about. This is standard practice by authors who write on such matters.
However, I have noticed a fairly new problem here which is very time consuming to fix: in all my hubs where I have names in italics in brackets there is now an additional space after the last letter eg the Common Toad (Bufo bufo) appears as (Bufo bufo ).
Why is this happening? It was NOT like that when I published the hubs originally. It seems clear to me that some change here has caused this.
To sort this mess out means I have to painstakingly go through all my hubs with flowers or animals in them, go into editing mode and get rid of the spaces. I have better things to do with my time than this but it makes my writing look very unprofessional!
Can your provide a link to a Hub that has the formatting issues you are experiencing?
We can then look into the issue and see if it is something we can send to our engineering team to address.
Yes, certainly, here is an old hub I have not amended to sort this problem out and you will be able to see what I mean: http://bardofely.hubpages.com/hub/Swan- … terpillars
I looked at that Hub and removed the trailing spaces using the HTML view while editing the text capsule.
I also tested adding italicized text and could not get it to create a trailing space.
Thank you for looking into it, Matthew, but I gather you haven't discovered why my hubs have been affected this way?
I have been amending them to correct this problem as I find them but am certain they were not originally published with "trailing spaces" because I view my work in detail before I publish so it must have been some change here that caused it.
The problem is not in newly created hubs where adding italicised text works fine, as you discovered, but in old already published hubs. I am surprised nobody else has reported this. I doubt if I am the only hubber to use the scientific way of identifying species of animals and plants.
by Marina15 months ago
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback about Editbot. Before we run Edibot again with a new set of corrections, I want to go over a few functional updates that will be released within the next couple of days.- There...
by Eric Dockett2 months ago
Today I noticed that some of the niche sites are not always showing the updated dates in the SERPS. I've seen this specifically with Spinditty, Exemplore and Pethelpful. Instead it is showing a much earlier date, and...
by Steve Andrews4 years ago
I don't know if this has happened to other hubbers or how many of you even do this but, as a matter of course, I usually put scientific names in Latin in italics in brackets after the English manes of plants and animals...
by Dolores Monet6 years ago
While attempting to refresh some of my hubs, I've been having some problems. First, half the hub seemed to have disappeared. Sometimes, when I hit the edit tab on a capsule, I get shot to the top of the hub and am...
by Susie Lehto21 months ago
I am being challenged. I have been having a problem getting a new hub to be featured. It has gone through QAP three times already. It is a new day, and I am feeling up to the challenge once again. Rested and refreshed...
by Kelley Eidem4 years ago
I really do need some help to remedy this.All that was done was to change the Kindle price of my book from $3.99 to $4.99. One digit and my page is DOWN.For that, the hub page - which has over 400,000 page views so far...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.