jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Adding a copyright link to your hubs

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
    Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago

I have just registered all my hubs with MyFreeCopyright(.)com. What I started doing was placing the below text in several of my hubs with a link to the page that backs up the copyright.

© copyright 2012: Dale Hyde - All Rights Reserved (using the link tool in the editor, I link this particular hub to: www.myfreecopyright.com/registered_mcn/ … 9QBH-RB3WA). "behind" the copyright text.

My question is this would not be a related topic link, but a link to verify copyright. Is this acceptable on HubPages?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Registering with that company does not give you any stronger rights or protections than what is already in place as stipulated by US law, and what is already indicated by the text present on every Hub on the site, i.e. "Copyright © 2012 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. All rights reserved."

What you get with a service like that is you're paying them to do the checking instead of you having to do it.  That's all.

However, from what I have come to understand and have seen on this site over the years, putting identical text and an outgoing link to the same domain on every Hub you have has the potential to trip an automated filter for duplicated content and/or could trigger a drop in your overall HubScore due to the promotion of a singular domain across all your Hubs.

From watching how outgoing links have been interpreted, I couldn't say how the moderators will judge that one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was deemed unrelated as it is providing a backlink to a commercial business that is unrelated to your actual Hub topics. 

I'm curious... what made you decide to act first and ponder what the mods might think after, instead of taking this question directly to them before you signed up for the paid service?

Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello relache. The service is free. I get email documentation as well as the documentation you see if you clicked the link. 

The reason I "stopped" was after posting the third link, I started thinking about links in general, so before I went any further, I wanted clarification.

I do agree with what you say with the copyright message that HubPages publishes, but what intrigued me about this service is that I get actual documentation for each hub. I don't really need to post the link, I figured it may keep me from filing any more DMCA's. I have had quite a few hubs stolen. Google has been good about pulling the offending page as a last resort so no complaints there, just a lot of trouble to even have to do that.

I think I will unlink those three hubs for the time being however, based on what issues you have raised that may well pop up.  Thanks. smile

3. relache profile image87

If the service is free, then those really are promotional links, which would make me even more skeptical about them.

I don't see how this service will keep you from having to file Notices of Infringment.  That's the web standard for takedown notices and a lot of sites make it clear they will ignore anything that doesn't come to them in that format.

I have done away with the links.

My main concern is not a site stealing the hubs, but individuals. Individuals who have stolen my material never respond to me and rarely pull the material down. The DMCA I file is straight to Google at that point.

Also, I was considering using this service on several of my own sites as well.

I do understand how the links could be considered promotional here, however.

4. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

People steal online stuff all of the time.  Yesterday, I found this Hub with a printed clause that expected payment for use of the author's Hub.  And the Hubber also expected the person to pay a fee for each day this same Hub was illegally used without the author's permission.  How can you enforce that?  Too much importance is put on a Hub because I see plenty of copyrights attached to them. I guess a lot of writers feel that their Hubs are worth these warnings, but as a reader, I already know that HubPages has copyrights on Hubs.  I would rather put my energy on getting something like a novel copyrighted.  A Hub is anywhere from 500-2000+ words, but a novel may take a lifetime to write.

5. relache profile image87

I think this type of service would work a lot better for a personal website versus implementing it here.

I am tending to agree with you relache, after thinking about it and with what you have shared. Thanks. smile