jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Protect Yourself Online

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

Just some advice for everyone. I saw a post about someone who got hacked.

To keep yourself safe online, one of the best things to do is to use secure passwords.

A secure password should be at least 10 digits long, contain a lowercase letter, uppercase letter, number, and special symbol.

If you don't use a special symbol(!@$##@%$*), then hackers have a huge advantage in 'guessing' your password with programs that cycle through every possible combination. Adding a single special character makes their job much more difficult. Even with extremely advanced computers and processes, working on a password on their own computer, a hacker has to spend some 50+ years to guess a 10-digit password that has a special character in it. Without the special character, they can usually get it within a week maximum. Smaller passwords with numbers and letters, around 6 digits long, can be forced in under an hour.

Also, you shouldn't use the same password everywhere. Here's what I do.

I have a standard phrase, let's call it 404Pass!(don't use this, come up with your own core 'phrase'. A core phrase should contain an uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, and symbol.

Now, if I create an account on HP, I can customize the password as such:

I could have a Gmail password

This is an easy way to have unique passwords that are easy to remember, and very secure.

Another thing you can do is use a tool like LastPass(do a google search for it). You create an account with one password, and it installs into your web browsers. Then you can have LastPass generate a strong, random password for every site, and remember it for you. It can autofill or autologin for you, and your passwords are stored in an encrypted state so they are perfectly safe.

Safe browsing everyone.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

A lot of posts from people saying they were hacked are often over reacting who were not actually hacked.

But, yes, this is good advice.

1. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

On the other hand, a lot of people are hacked and never know it... sad

I've been hacked once, my Gmail account. Since then I've been very safe.

Well, I've tried. I've had a few instances of upsetting some hackers in games or forums and they've come after me. One time I had someone sending so many attacks to my computer I had to report them.

3. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

That is a good system. Thanks for passing it along. I have a hard time remembering passwords and am always having to change mine just so I can access my accounts. This would make a good hub, btw.