jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

FIXED: slideshow view count possibly inflated

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
    Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago

This may be a one-time glitch, but I thought I would make mention of it in case it is something that can escalate. One never knows with those web gremlins!

I published a hub earlier, a review (don't want to post the link to promote the hub). When I publish, I click through the various things to see if all is working.

I clicked on the photos to view as a slide show. Immediately, my laptop fan kicked into overdrive at a frenzy I have not heard in the two years I have had it. The whole system locked up. I did the ctrl+alt+del to get to my task manager to shut things down. It did not work, so I kept at it and finally it came up and I was able to kill my browser. One shot, right through the heart!

I popped everything back open and all appeared to be normal. I checked out a few slide shows and my system just hummed along like a new Rolls Royce....peaceful and smooth.

I went to my stats later on and noticed the astounding amount of views the slide show had for that new hub..... 1,263 slide show views versus the 25 views of the hub.  So, apparently that lock-up that spun me into a psychological nightmare racked up all these views somehow.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

@Dale Sorry to hear about the issue you experienced. 

From the details, it does sound like it could be a one-time glitch.

Did this occur in Windows 7 and Chrome 20?

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
        Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello Matthew,

Yes, it is with Windows 7 64-bit and Chrome 20.0.1132.47 m version. 

I have not had any further problems, however, I have not viewed a slide show today as I am running extremely late.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image73
    Nouveau Skepticposted 4 years ago

In general the slideshow view to hub view ratios have often been implausible.

3. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

LOL, one of my hubs has 61,942 slideshow views so far today (numbers have been climbing throughout the day, so it may go higher). Up until today, it had 2 total. lol

@SmartAndFun

Can you please provide a URL for the Hub in question?

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
        SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sure, it is:

http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Tal … erformance

It's up to 61,979 now. Thanks for looking into this. I'm curious as to what could be causing it.

Thanks for the info,
          I have sent this to our engineering team to see if we can figure out what is going on.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77

@SmartAndFun
          Just wanted to let you know that we did actually show that much activity on your slideshow.

Our engineering team has revised the process so it disregards the activity which all seems to be coming from the same IP address in Colorado.

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
            SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Weird! Thanks for the reply.

Closed to reply

working