jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you know the name of the British male pop singer in the '65-70 era?

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image87
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 5 years ago

I've been trying to remember -- off and on for about two days -- the name of the British, good-looking, brown haired young male singer in the mid to late 1960's. I can't even remember the name of one of his songs but I know I really liked his songs.  We were living in Canada at the time, but I assume he was known on the pop charts in the United States, too.  I was thinking I'd like to see a video on You Tube of him singing some of those songs I loved and then I realized I absolutely cannot remember his name. He was singing about a girl or love lost or love forever or something. He had a great voice and a great sound.  It might have been about the time of Buddy Holly, but a different sound to this artist.

Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if I can cancel this thread.  I just REMEMBERED his name. It was Cliff Richards!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image83
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Buddy Holly died in 1959, but I am still trying to think of British male pop stars. Cliff Richard comes to mind, but Billy J. Kramer was more memorable in looks and music. He recorded a Lennon/McCartney tune "Bad to Me" and followed up w/ "Little Children."  The other one is Donovan, more of a hippie, with "Sunshine Superman."  I hope that helps jog your memory!

Little Children.  That was a great song. So many great songs -- and a simpler time.

3. timorous profile image93
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Cliff Richard has always been considerably more popular in Britain than in North America. I can recall a handful of hits in the early 1960's, such as Summer Holiday, The Young Ones, Bachelor Boy, It's All in the Game, and Don't Talk to Him. Though he continued with a string of hits in Britain, he sort of disappeared from the North American airwaves, until a big hit in the mid-seventies, called We Don't Talk Anymore.

Apparently, at 70 years old, he still tours regularly. Good for him.

I decided to write a hub about him.  I was so amazed tonight to find him so busy and having performed so many songs through the decades.

You've sure got a good memory.  I will have a look -- you must be from Britain.  Thanks for all the song titles.

4. Polly C profile image88
    Polly Cposted 5 years ago

Cliff Richard sang at the Queen's Jubiliee Concert at Buckingham Palace in June, he described himself as the only performer to have had a hit in every decade during the Queen's reign.

working