Twylah - Friend or Foe

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

I noticed that this guy is adding huge lists of hubs to

http://www.     twylah.com/WriterSC

His pages are outranking the orginal articles which are not showing in the SERPS (probably because they are considered duplicates).
    He copies a paragraph from the article, the image and provides a link back.
    If this GOOD, BAD or UGLY. What should be done about it?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As far as I can see, he is just providing a dofollow backlink to a lot of hubs, though what he gets out of it, I don't know!

When a Hubpages subdomain gets slapped, like mine, everything outranks it! Not sure that is a problem for most hubbers, or is it?

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In my case one of my hubs has disappeared from the SERPS and has been replaced by his summary - Its a worry! He uses theexact title and copied text. Google displays his rather than mine!!!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Have you been slapped by Google? I mean a slap like mine where Google took its traffic elsewhere, when I never did anything to annoy them, that I know of.

The point is that when Google takes your traffic away, all backlinks/copies made by plagiarists show higher in the rankings than your hubs.

I don't think this guy is doing anything other than providing a backlink and it shouldn't rank higher than your hub unless something is wrong with your account.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

He does exactly as HP does. http://hubpages.com/topics/home/gardening/3174/hot

He does exactly as I do.

The rascal. big_smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

And here's my rant for the day...

I literally feed HP and other hubbers traffic each and every single day.

But I have yet to get a god damn ad-click out of it.

I am beginning to get highly perturbed about that.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I got 6,000 views today across my subdomains and no clicks.

I'm considering taking HPads off to see the difference.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Izzy has your traffic recovered?

1. IzzyM profile image86

No, but I have new subdomains that are unaffected.

It was such an odd thing at the weekend. Bing sent me 1,400 views to one hub on this account, Yahoo another 450, other subdomains, comcast, AOL etc sent me more.
          A big fat zero from Google!

On my other accounts, Google traffic is per normal, and Yahoo and Bing combined usually only totals 10% of what Google can bring.

2. janderson99 profile image54

So what you are saying is that other hubbers benefit from the links on your pages and offsite but hubbers seldom click on ads. However part of the payment via the ad program is for "impressions" and so no click is required. I think that is why HP puts so much emphasis on internal linking via related hubs and hubbers - Impressions!

1. IzzyM profile image86

No no no you have that wrong.

Internal linking strengthens a subdomain in a way you cannot imagine. I had no idea myself until I tried it.

A strengthened subdomain is popular in the eyes of all search engines, but in addition you will see searchers following those links.

If we all did it, Hubpages as a whole would be strengthened. In the past, they had us interlinked with really crap hubs, but there are many hubbers here I am happy to link to.

So someone leaves my page by visiting another page, what is the difference if they were leaving anyway?

As far as I can see, the ads do not relate to the content in many cases, so not much chance of them leaving through an ad.

I have never looked to other hubbers for traffic, our main traffic should come from search engines.

I experimented with internal linking.

On one sub of less than 20 hubs, I interlinked them as far as possible, and added links from across the site where possible (my choice of links, not the suggestions tool), and saw the traffic DOUBLE overnight. Search engine traffic, I might add.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
          Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting....

Are you doing that through suggest a link? Or are you finding the hubs you want to link to by yourself?

1. IzzyM profile image86

I do it by highlighting the words I want hyperlinked and use the link tool. It shows my own hubs that relate, or others that relate, but if its not my own hub I open an HP search in a new tab and choose a hub myself, or occasionally I choose a hub they suggest because I know the hubber writes good hubs. I then check the link to make sure it is up to par, just in case. If there is nothing obviously suitable, I choose a web site page, usually wikipedia or other authority site.

I have amazed myself at how well this strategy works.

Just to add, the subdomain I intensively linked has just seen its highest ever traffic day  - far higher than anything I have ever seen on this account - and it only has 20 hubs!

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
              Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. Great advice!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's my rant, and I'll cry if I want to,
        Cry if I want to, cry if I want to.
        You would cry too if it happened to you...
        lol

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

Hey IzzyM,

Thanks for your posts. I'll start adding some links here and there. smile

-paradigmsearch

5. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

Twylah is OK!  They simply create a page for you and its connected to twitter.  From what I see its a pretty good setup.

Even If the snippet thats copied from your hub is ranking higher than your hub that is not a problem.  That only means Twylah has a higher PR because there is fresh content added several times a day from other users.

If and when your hub start to sink lower in the serps.  People will see that back link and still be directed to your article.  So its a win win situation.

Its annoying when TWYLAH copy outranks the original as the user can't see your SERP snippet => loss of traffic. Google only shows one copy - Twylah!! Very annoying when someone else can copy summaries of all you articles on their Twylah page to promote their business!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

If/when I sign-up with Twylah, I'll do yours first.

Juuust kidding... big_smile

Its a worry!!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

If anyone wants to post links to my hubs on Twylah, feel free to do so. I'll even give you a hug. big_smile

6. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 11 years ago

This one guy is producing hundreds of links a day back to Hubpages. Google are cracking down on spammy links, surely this guy is harming the site as a whole. He also copies and pastes the first few lines of our pages, is this not dup content? Not to mention he also uses our image on his own personal page. He must be bringing in thousands and thousands of views a day to his Twylah pages and it's all our hard work he is profiting from. I don't see how this can be allowed.

1. IzzyM profile image86

The site putting up the dup content is the one that is supposed to be harmed, not the original.

So, obviously Google isn't that bothered about it, or his own site would not rank so highly.

Unfortunately, when our subs are demoted for whatever reason, all dup content shows above our original work.

I should know, I was there for a year. In fact, I'm not sure I'm not back there, seeing as I ended up with a huge traffic drop yesterday, right back to where I was before my traffic returned.

Meanwhile, if you are in Google's good books, your work will rank above Twylahs, and in fact will benefit from the backlink he is providing.

1. andyoz profile image86
        andyozposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In recent times I have found it takes as long as a month for my Hubs on this account to get indexed. But they show up on Twylah much sooner, and often seem to get higher in the SERPS.

This I keep hearing about benefiting from the banklinks is wrong. Are people not keeping up to date with everything Google is saying?

Yesterday my other account on Hubpages crashed, I notice that my Hubs have been replaced by these Twylah pages showing snippets from my Hubs with a link to me. I don't see any traffic coming through those links though. So I strongly disagree that this site is benifiting me or anyone else.

I still stand by my original statement. Why is this guy aloud to profit off all our hardwork?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Your post has hit the nail on the head of what is wrong here.

Normally, HP has such a high standing that all new hubs got indexed within hours, sometimes minutes, of publication.

Now, if the Googlebot visits while the hub is in pending mode, it sees the noindex tag and leaves. Sometimes it doesn't return for weeks.

If someone comes along and copies even part of our work in the interim, then OUR work becomes the second-indexed, and therefore seems like the copy in Google's eyes.

I am a bit miffed just now because another of my subdomains writes only about sharks.

There has been a fatal shark attack in California, and as soon as the poor victim's name became known, I wrote a hub about it.

Normally, I can expect 1000s of views within the first week or two.

Now, I get nothing, and by the time my hub is indexed, its old news.

Not a good system at all, and is costing both me and HP money.

Obviously I should take those articles elsewhere.

1. andyoz profile image86

Totally agree Izzy, some of my articles are written with the need to be published quickly, when they get Googlized in a months time it to late for the really serious traffic to come in. Plus everyone else has already wrote about it by then so you find yourself way down the SERPS.

7. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

I noticed this also, from one of the tech sites I write for. Seems he is scraping content -mostly from Hub Pages- to boost his sites rank// twylah [power tweet] page. In essence display re~tweet. It is not necessarily duplicating content, but is borderline spinning. It is a clean backlink though, so no complaints here.

http://www.twylah.com/faq >> FAQ about using twylah.

If you can't beat 'em join 'em

2. andyoz profile image86

But Google have come out and said they no longer reward backlinks that are simply generated either automatically or simply for the sake of a banklink, in fact they now downgrade a site with these kind of spammy links. They want quality links that are there for a geniune reason. They have also said about anchor text that they don't want the entire name of the page in the link, they want it to be a natural anchor text link.
      For example if a hub is called 'how to build a really big tower', Google do not want the anchor text to always be 'how to bulid a really big tower'. They want it to be varied, so the anchor text could be 'big towers' or 'building a tower' or 'guide to towers'. The guy on Twylah uses the entire URL as the link, something Google have said they do not like at all.

1. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that is his problem, not ours.
        Essentially his links will get dumped for spinning content, not Hubbers.

On another point: these "back links" are identical to a RT on twitter, a Facebook Share, a Stumble etc. so the exact link is especially valuable as it is a "clean" link directly to the Hub. Should the link be a redirect, which from what I am seeing is not, then there is no reason Goo would frown upon it. Yes, granted, Goo wants everyone to use G+ for authorship//back linking to continue forcing their product on the masses. Nevertheless, links are the backbone of the internet. The more inbound, clean, exact domain-to-title // exact link-to-title links, the better the PR value.

Finally it is not just WriterSC, it is an entire website directly connected to Twitter, via their API.

James.

#2, 3, 4 are direct links to my article; #6 is a referral from another Hubber.
        The twitter stuff is not even coming up even though he back linked it.
        On Goo, Bing -even Yahoo- this same article is pulling top position. Nothing to worry about after all.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7301346_f1024.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)