jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Hope it's worth it, HP

1. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 4 years ago

There has been a lot of slow loading and other problems recently, but this is the second time HP has been unavailable to the general public, in recent times.

I don't know what you are doing, but stats not updating is always a sign that you are making site changes.

But, please, don't interrupt the general public viewing.

I could just imagine some hysterical voices panicking when it was realised that whatever had gone wrong affected the site - "Fix it! Fix it! Get us back online!"

Maybe it has always happened with site changes, but I never noticed because Analytics real time wasn't available.

But hey this is serious.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure they think it is worth it, otherwise I don't think they would be doing what they are doing. hmm

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't have a problem with site changes, but NO site should go offline while they are being made.

What did it cost you when your traffic reduced to zero viewers?

I know it cost HP more than either me or you, but this is the second time this has happened.

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure it cost them a pretty penny to make the changes and if it is possible without taking down the site to make the changes, then I would suggest that be the path to take, but so far the changes are internal programming of HubPages' platform.

The platform apparently has to be taken down to make the changes necessary. sad

3. thranax profile image57
    thranaxposted 4 years ago

Lots of things have to come offline fully to be changed. Anything to do with coding on the site, mainly Java and the built in capsules in the editor should use a short downtime to change. Going offline for a little bit to upgrade is a lot better then going offline for weeks because of a failure. If it is hardware related then it has to go offline. Small changes like the header and footer or adding more categories doesn't effect site being online.

Remember, other user driven things go offline regularly. League of Legends for example goes offline for every patch every week for more then a few hours. Even ISP's need to turn off services at somepoint to update them (unless your running business class).

I am sure Hubpages is doing tests, changing scripts, or fixing issues and in the end it will be for the best!

~thranax~

1. IzzyM profile image85

A wee bit of warning to us might have been in order then? Don't you think? When its your own site, and your own content, you can do what you like.

I appreciate we being nothing more than cannon fodder, even though we contribute greatly to the site, means that we have no say, but common courtesy surely dictates a message to let us know it is happening.

Anyway, it is passed now, It has happened. Where are the changes?

4. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

The problems were caused when HP attempted to implement my animated pong background idea for the new profile.

1. IzzyM profile image85

So it's your fault?? lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's what I do. lol

working