Ever had an amazing-too good to be true-spike in your page views?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 11 years ago

I had to look twice at my stats today-I usually have around 60 to70 views/day-which is reasonable for my topics-because in the last 24 hours I've had 322!  I am used to seeing lots of zeros next to my hubs, but it seems like they're all popular.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but this creeps me out...Any thoughts?  I mean it's a terrific, inspiring jump, but come on!

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It happens occasionally, usually for me it is a Facebook or Twitter share. Occasionally I receive links inside of forums which bring in a rapid number of views.    A couple of weeks ago I received a couple of hundred from the Huffington Post, I could not find the source, although I searched for a few hours.  smile

Does anyone know how to find backlinks from a particular source?

I also see a bump in traffic after publishing a hub. 

Congrats on your spike, hoping it remains constant for you.

lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

RB-I expected a small increase after publishing yesterday, but not anything like this.  My numbers have been steady-and small, I suppose-for 3+ years.  If you spent hours trying to figure all this out, then there must not be an exact science out there, but I would be interested in future replies here, too!
        Maybe, just maybe, someone can help us out...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt there is any "exact science" here. Mine were up some yesterday and today, but have been pretty dismal in the last couple of months.

2. redwards01 profile image68
      redwards01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened to me today. I typically get around 30 views a day although it raises to about 70 when I publish a few new hubs. However, today I've had 123 page views so far. It does not seem like I've had any more traffic from it certain site, but instead it looks like people have been reading all of my hubs today. I have very little hubs with 0 views at the moment and the majority have 2.

3. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it all Google traffic?

Since I interlinked my subs, I have seen a lot of visitors that are listed on Analytics as 'direct traffic'.

Each time a sub gets lots of those 'direct' hits, the map in realtime shows they come from a location just off the coast of Africa, and also from at least one main town in central East coast America.

They follow every link on a subdomain, so all of your hubs will get several views on each, if they are well interlinked, and some get even more as they follow the link to the other page, and back again if it is linked two-way.

Two more of my subs saw this traffic yesterday. It was fun on watch on Real-Time.

They are real views and count towards HPad payments, but who they are, or what they are doing, eludes me.

I wonder if it is Google's raters at work?

Pass muster, and your site will be voted up and see more traffic, fail and you don't.

2. lorlie6 profile image73

Anybody?

1. Redberry Sky profile image90
      Redberry Skyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My search traffic doubled yesterday, but my search traffic is still quite low (I've only been here 2 months), so I don't know if it's very meaningful.  I'm hoping that the changes HP have made recently are starting to take effect, but for the moment I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!  (sorry, tried to comment earlier but kept getting an error message).

Thanks for replying, RS!  I think I'll just keep an eye on mine for the next few days-just to see if it's some sort of glitch.
        Congrats on the doubling!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just checked, mine increased by 150 plus by average in this account. My other account also increased, It is unusual because it is Th, my views plummet up to weekends usually starting Th.

3. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 11 years ago

A lot of people said the traffic picks up after the hubs have been publish for awhile, like 6 months - 1 year.  I've only joined Hubpages for about 5 months, so far no big spike in my page views, only slowly inching up.  I hope I will see the big viewing page number soon.  Congratulations!  You should just enjoy it because you have earned it.  smile

4. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Congrats! smile When it happens I usually check my traffic sources to see if it's from some social site.

5. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

What's the source of your traffic? Is it facebook? Happened to me once - got 600 views in a day smile Of course that was the highest single day visits too smile

6. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

My traffic has also quadrupled but I cannot see any discernible source for the traffic. Doesn't help that the stats have not been updated for hours.

7. lorlie6 profile image73

Thanks everyone for replying!
    Google has always been my main source for traffic views, and it still is-I'd say around70%.  I just published a Hub early yesterday morning, so I expected my total views to increase somewhat, but not 3x!
    Thanks for the well wishes, I just checked again and it's still way up there-hopefully this will be a long lived trend!! smile

8. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

No, but I have experienced a drop in page views which was absolutely scary. lol

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Alas, nary a spike to be found for paradigmsearch... I did notice that HP messed with the Q&A stats page though.

Aww, ps, 'nary a spike'??  Poor thing...J/K!  Just messin' with ya.

rw01-isn't it strange?  Same here re: from 0 to at least 2 for each hub.  Somebody out there really reads these writings that I've not had any views showing for months??

Rochelle?  What does 'dismal' mean for you-if you don't mind? smile

pdh-I'll have to see if Thursday is a telling day, too...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Dismal" means the number of views was lower than the number for my hubber score.

You elusive secret-keeper, you! wink 
          Well put, however!!

10. Melovy profile image93
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

I and a few others had this happen in June and it was too good to be true. I never found out what caused it, but there was something funny about it. The views showed up on the statistics page but not on the individual hub's stats, and, if I remember correctly, Google registered it at first but within a few hours the views were reduced there to a number closer to what I'd normally expect.
    The weird thing was that there was no source showing up for the views, so if you have got a source you are probably okay. Also my views kept on increasing and increasing for about 24 hours, till they were about 5 times what I'd expect and I think other people had something similar.
    I hope your views turn out to be genuine!

1. Melovy profile image93
      Melovyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've just noticed Hollie's comment and I think the payout information wasn't updated when it happened to me either.
      Hollie, that your views aren't from a discernible source does suggest it could be the same thing. It's kinda strange.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oddly enough when the stasts updated the additional views were from a range of other search engines, but none excessively so from Google.com. My views have dropped now sad However, they are now around pre-slap levels so I'm still kinda pleased with that. smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

I've since odd spikes in traffic coming from both Bing and Yahoo. The both of them seem to favour a hub for no particular reason for a few days, or sometimes just a day, then it drops again.

In fact I had some mad spikes in traffic from both of them just last weekend across a range of hubs. One hub in particular saw 1500 views a day from Bing for 2/3 days, before it died away to nothing again.

I do not understand why, but someone said on another thread (or was it this one?) something about them being social sites or something. In which case, spikes of traffic would be the norm from them, maybe?

I only recently made changes to hubs that Bing and Yahoo both seem to like although I had no idea how to target traffic from them.

Maybe that is what you saw Hollie? In which case, you've somehow managed to target their traffic and more spikes will come back, I expect.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I hope so, Izzy. Bing, Yahoo and other Google. were sending the majority of traffic. It does seem that something rather odd is going on though. As others, who have also seen spikes in traffic without tweeking their hubs, I'm wondering if Google is about to roll out another update? Another thing also, it appears that (obviously I have no real evidence for this claim) there are more sites which have lost traffic due to panda, penguin etc, than have gained. So, who on earth is doing well out of the recent changes? In terms of .com traffic that is.

1. timorous profile image81
              timorousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was coasting along at about 12 views a day..total, last fall. Sometime in late January this year, it started increasing, eventually levelling off at about 85 or so. I haven't done anything much to the hubs I had, and I've only added about 5 or 6 since then, but I must be doing something right in Google's eyes, since my traffic continues to increase, along with my Hubpages earnings.
              The more knowledgeable SEO gurus (Mark Ling, Matt Carter) say that those sites that have the most relevant and complete content..the ones that have lots of pages of content that really covers the subject are the ones that will get the nod from Google. Useful linking within the content to other pages in the site, and relevant links to other sites is also favoured. It's a superior user experience that Google wants to give their users. It's up to you to provide it.

2. lorlie6 profile image73

I hope so, too Melovy!  It's been over 24 hours now, so I'm crossing my fingers!  What I've been doing is going back obsessively and checking-silly, I know, but somehow I think there's gotta be some sort of mistake.

11. lorlie6 profile image73

Oh, yes-I too noticed the payout info seems to mirror these increases.

12. lorlie6 profile image73

Well, my traffic has now plummeted!  It's below what I've come to expect, soooo...??? yikes

1. IzzyM profile image86

Give it a week or two to kick in then.

Plus add in-text hyperlinks to all of your hubs, even ones that you have no other relating hubs to link - link out to across the site and to external authority sites.

13. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Your pages deserve a lot more than 300 views a day so I hope the traffic comes back, and then some,

14. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Yes. I am very shocked to see that one of my hubs is getting over 60 page views a day, and over 2000 a month, when some of my other hubs are barely getting 60 views a month! If I had a better internet connection I would write more hubs on the subject that is getting so many views, but with my snail dial-up internet, I'm lucky to be able to be able to view hubpages at all.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Been there, and may very well be there again.

I learned to write offline, and then just past into capsules. I also learned to just go do housework while my dial-up did it's thing between page loads. I kid you not. smile

1. brimancandy profile image79
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to have high speed through Comcast, where I could sit and watch an entire movie without the stupid buffering. Now I can't even watch a 2 minute youtube video without it taking 2 hours to load. So, now I don't bother.

15. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 11 years ago

I had over 200 views for one of my picture hubs, when it was chosen as 'hub of the day' sometime back in March. I had another spike a while back, about 250 views in one day, over my 39 hubs. It usually averages about 120 a day overall. Sometimes a bit lower on the weekends, but not always.

16. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

On my own web page I was showing no views at all for a week or so -  then  suddenly they came back a couple days ago.  I think you are seeing some google change that stops the counting then the spike is the count coming back to the total.  On my own site the views before the blip were down and after they were constant with my usual monthly view rate.

17. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

Yes, once when I was getting thousands of views daily for a hub suddenly but then it all dropped just as suddenly. I found out that the traffic was from Facebook but why I couldn't say!

I had that happen with a pin once. My guess is that someone with a couple million followers re-brodcast it.

1. Bard of Ely profile image80
        Bard of Elyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is why I bother with sharing my links at Facebook because if it can happen once it can hopefully happen again!

Same here. Hope springs eternal. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)