jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Broken Links...but they're not!

1. 0
    whowasposted 4 years ago

I'm getting the message saying that my most recent hubs (they are a five part series, so part one links to part two, part two to part three etc. and the four all link back to part one) has broken links. But I've checked the links and they look fine and they work fine.

It may not matter, but I still have those annoying (and incorrect) exclamation marks even though there seems to be nothing wrong. I'm also concerned that the fact that Hubpages robots think I've got broken links might have a negative effect on my hub's reputation.

Could anyone advise? Thank so much.

I don't think I'm allowed to post a link here but the hubs are Who Was Andrew Marvell if anyone else wants to test the links?

2. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

When this happens to me I check for the broken links through the "My account"page itself, if the links show there, the system gives you a chance to re-check them. it usually resolves the issue for me.

1. 0
      whowasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that but it was the first thing I did. They are highlighted in yellow and I've checked them but they are perfectly good links and they all work perfectly.

Maybe it's a glitch that will sort itself out?

1. WannaB Writer profile image92
        WannaB Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have a hub where the error message about broken links shows up and I recheck and they are fine. I save. Everything is fine for a while and then the hub gets the same error message for the same links. I fix the problem. Today I've fixed the problem for the third time. I don't understand why this keeps repeating on a few of my hubs.

1. Dale Hyde profile image88
          Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The broken link error will come up when there is a delay from the server that the link is coming from. Say the link went to USA Today, and HP ran a check on links, but the USA Today server was down, or extremely busy due to a lot of traffic, then the link will be slow to load and it will time out and a broken link error will appear.  Normally you will notice that it may well be the same link coming from the same server that this happens on.

2. 0

Ah no, now I see what you meant - the retest option! Boy they hid that well!
      I'll give it a shot. wink

3. 0

Yay! Thank you Reality Bytes - sorted!

1. Reality Bytes profile image94
        Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your welcome  smile